Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:23:03 AM EDT
Hey guys, I don't post here much but I could use a little help.  A friend of mine has decided to grab his first rifle.  Me, owning a couple ARs, told him that for the money he could not go wrong with an AK.

He is interested in an AR or AK, my logic was you can always spend more later, but you could grab a saiga or any other for $200- $400 no problem.

So he hit me with a couple quick questions.  Like, whether or not to get a Saiga in .223, 7.62 39 or 7.62 51.  (I told him with the small mags in a saiga, ie no high caps in the works to think about the 7.62 51.)

Anyway, what do you think.  I want him to be able to get high caps, so should he look at a different platform that Saiga?

What do you guys reccomend for a starter AK platform, cal, mags brands.  He just wants a rifle for the truck/house defense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
No gun picked out.  He just started asking me where to start, I said I would ask here.  I sorta thought the Saiga in 7.62 commie, then wait for the hi caps to come.  Off the cuff.  He would have the rifle, so ass would be covered for future bans, then wait and work on mags.

I handled a friends wasr the other day, it was sweet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
wasr are Romainian right?  I am AK illiterate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
WASR-10s are romanain. for a good overview of all the romanian AK's and varients check out www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml.

I personally own a WASR-10 i hand picked from a few at a gunshow. about 360$ (little high but couldnt find a better deal local). The wood was unfinished but i planed on redoing it anyway. after 20$ in wood Stain i now have a very good shooting AK that can kill cans at 100 yards all day long without a problem, and it looks great too. Great gun for the price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
GTZ, where are you in VA, I am in norfolk.  I have converted a load of SAIGA's of you are interested it only takes a few hours to do.  email me at:  [email protected]

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GTZ, where are you in VA, I am in norfolk.  I have converted a load of SAIGA's of you are interested it only takes a few hours to do.  email me at:  [email protected]

Chris

I am in Chesapeake, email sent.  Thanks, this could be cool.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top