Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2004 12:23:51 PM EDT
I am looking for an AK that is historically accurate to what a Com block country uses/used.  I want a stamped receiver.  I have narrowed my choice down to the following:

1.  A current Russian AK-74.  Which company has the closest thing to the real deal?  ORF?  SEAK?  SEAK II?   Arsenal imports side folding AKS-74?  Which has a finish that is closest to the real thing?  Threading and muzzle devices?

2.  An underfolder in 7.62x39  How are the Polish underfolders from Atlantic Firearms?  What is the receiver like?  Anything else I need to know?  What does ORF have for a Polish underfolder?

3.  A  Romainian SAR-1 AK in 7.62x39 with side folder.  Who can put a bayo lug and threads on a SAR-1 and refinish with a spec finish?

thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Of those choices, the Sar, due to the current supply of receivers and it has the correct receiver not an oow.  Tha Arsenal 5.45 comming out should be an exact copy of bulgie 74s.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Of those choices, the Sar, due to the current supply of receivers and it has the correct receiver not an oow.  Tha Arsenal 5.45 comming out should be an exact copy of bulgie 74s.

I should have stated this before....

I don't care if the receiver is foreign or US made just as long as the receiver has all the correct holes and contours.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd holler at the guys at ORF and tell em what you want and see what they can do??
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
what kind of finish does ORF use?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, ORF is a good resource.  I've heard he's not taking work, but Ted Marshall would be the man to go too for perfect reproductions.  Shoot him an email, he's a great guy to work with.  I got my AK100 stock off of him.  www.marshall-arms.com
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look here.  Could save you some time.  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=221734
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have stated this before....

I don't care if the receiver is foreign or US made just as long as the receiver has all the correct holes and contours.

There are remaining issues about metal spec, localized at holes vs fully heat treated, and dimensional variations that are minor IF you know how to build around them for a specific caliber model. ORF has several finishes available, your call. You will not find a line of people saying the Bulgy 74 kits give up anything to the Russian in quality, including those who have been over there and know. ORF had a Polish underfolder in one of KF's pics a few days ago.

Are a Bulgy and Russian AK-74 identical?  Could you elaborate more on the metal spec, holes and dimensional variations.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
anyone else?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top