Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 1:50:35 PM EDT by DTakas]
I’m interested in replacing the original barrel on my Bulgarian SLR 95 with an AK 104 barrel assembly. I know to do this I would first have to register the gun as an SBR with the ATF or permanently attach a flash suppressor that will bring the overall length to legal size, and that’s not a problem. This however would be my first such project and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be involved. I have limited resources so I was going to use screws to install the new barrel. I’m pretty sure I can get the old barrel out without a problem. But I’m not sure about all the details of putting the new one in. The barrel assembly I am interested in comes from K-var
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16578&cat=274&page=1
I read somewhere that these assemblies can be problematic because the blocks aren’t pre drilled for being riveted to the receiver or something like that. Also I have no idea if I need to or how to adjust headspacing on the new barrel.

Can anyone fill in some blanks or point me in the right direction? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:19:13 PM EDT
you dont want a new barrel
thats alot of work that isnt needed

pull the barrel and have it turned down
then just reinstall it with a new combo block
your trying to make it harder than it is

also you have a milled rec so theres no screws involved

hope this helps you
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:28:06 AM EDT
I just assumed it would be the same work to take mine out and put it back as it would be to take mine out and put a new one in. But if altering mine would be easier That’s OK too.

I do have one question though. by cutting down that barrel am I going to alter the dynamics of the gas operation? will I still have enough gas and for a long enough period to make the gun cycle. Since I would have less barrel the gass pressure would be in it for a shorter period so would I need to open up the gas port in the barrel to compensate? If so how much?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:28:08 PM EDT
na wont be a prob

Top Top