Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2017 4:37:12 PM EDT
Asked this else where  but no one has responded. Let me start by saying I am considering this "Because I can" not because I am some "Operator" or envision this as anything other than a range toy. With the availability of various Galil Kits without Barrels. I am considering building a Integrally Suppressed Galil. A couple of things to get out of the way. 1,I will be working with a builder who is far more skilled than myself. 2,Yes all NFA procedures will be followed. I have had this thought in the back of my head for some time and with the completion of my other 2 Galils I am a bit more confident. My First thought is to build it in 300 Blackout. The advantage here would appear to be the The only real change is the Barrel (and of Course the suppressor) Bolt , and Magazines for 5.56 all work with the the 300. Ammo is Commercially available from multiple sources and the weapon is likely to be able to handle both Subsonic and Super Sonic Ammo. The Down side is 300 is not inexpensive
The other thought is after reading that Wolf will be importing 9x39 in a 278 grain subsonic load is go that route (Yes importation is months away but the last Galil project took 18 months so from a an expanded timeline doesn't necessarily deter me) Upside to this idea seems to be a Higher "Gee Wiz" Factor, lobbing a bigger brick , and cheap steel cased ammo .The build would involve using an AKM bolt and a custom cut barrel (either one of the Blanks Wolf is said to be ready to import or possibly starting with a 35 remington blank?) Downside appears to only one projected supplier of ammo and possible issues with Magazines. Can I ask the builder here what your thoughts are?
Edit / Delete Edit Post    Quick reply to this message Reply    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote    Multi-Quote This Message
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting thoughts. The Blackout becomes very affordable if one reloads. However, the blackout still might not cycle when not suppressed, even when using an extremely short gas piston. The shortest are merely plugs on the end of the bolt carrier.

The problem with the 9x39 is that the AK-9 uses a proprietary black polymer magazine which is not available.

Here are some additional options, that are far less expedient but possible immediately for a Galil. Takeoffs of Ace plastic lower using ar magazines. This permits the use of Wilson Tactical Lancer modified magazines the .338 short straight becomes an option as well.

This also allows the uses of 6.8 magazines, now the .338 spectre which opens the neck of the 6.8 SPC to .338 becomes an option. It is very much the Americanized version of the 9x39.

I expect that the increased mass of the bolt carrier group and spring tension of the AK system that the 9x39 or its Americanized cousin would be far easier to tune than the blackout. After all, it has been done already with the AK-9.

An odd final thought, if you are willing to heavily modify Grendel magazines and trim Carcano brass down to 43mm then .40cal/10mm becomes an option. I do not think that the .400ar is a better option than what you have already considered. It would definitely be more work. But for those who want more than a 9mm, the extra effort might be justified.

EDITED: to explain the extreme deviation from the simplicity of nhgunnut intent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Examining a 7.62x39 AK bolt next to a 7.62x51 Galil bolt.

It might be easier start by suppressing .308 win, .338 federal, or .358 win. I would expect all three to feed better from either the old Galil magazines or the Stoner magazines used by the Ace.

It also might be easier to tune the system for the use of subsonic ammo as well. The case volume allows for the use of slow powders. Almost twenty years ago I saw a Fal adjustable gas block on a Galil or Valmet .308 barrel. Vern Smith, who made quick change caliber/barrel systems for the Fal, and for a single Galil; might have been the gunsmith who did the work. I also have a Valmet gas block with a simple on or off settings. It is the original which came on the hunter/petra m-88 version. Hard to find, a few Sako-95 gas blocks have been imported.

I would not expect the rifle bullets to expand, but at sub sonic speeds energy is not shed into the shock wave and with the aerodynamics of the rifle bullets little is wasted against friction from the air. They retain a tremendous amount of energy, even if the trajectory starts to look like a set of tossed car keys.

A .308 bolt is expensive but not impossible to find.

DB
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I like your thought of using a .35rem barrel and an inexpensive easily found bolt. All of what I have posted draws away from the practical ease of your proposed conversion.

But if I was building it right now, I probable would go with the Americanized 9x39, the .338 spectre and look into spot welding or silver soldering the AK attachment points onto a PRI or Barret magazine.

DB

EDITED: to explain the deviation from the simplicity of nhgunnut's original intent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the proper starting point would be to make some dummy 9x39 and start stacking them into 6.8 pri magazines, 7.62x39 ar magazines or grendel magazines. If it manages to work, then modify that magazine body for use in your conversion.

DB

EDITED TO ADD: The 9x39 has a little less taper than the 7.62x39. This would have to be factored in, simply opening the neck of the 7.62x39 to 9mm is insufficient. The case should be fireformed as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the Feedback "Interesting thoughts. The Blackout becomes very affordable if one reloads. However, the blackout still might not cycle when not suppressed, even when using an extremely short gas piston. The shortest are merely plugs on the end of the bolt carrier. " The Soviets used a 12.5 Gram round (192 grains)  round in their suppressed AK's, Commercial 300 blackout subsonics range from 180 to 220 grains  so I am not seeing a big challenge here , but perhaps.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top