Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 12:17:22 PM EDT
Howdy! I am a proud owner of my first gun (Rom. WASR-10 hi-cap). Bought her in august, 2 days after I turned 18. I just thought I would I would introduce myself and share a couple pics of my AK.

She's not much, and I'm sure you all know what an AK looks like, but seeing one more won't hurt.
http://home.comcast.net/~maverick911/ak_s1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~maverick911/ak_s2.jpg

I'm deciding what to do with it. For $400 I regret buying it, I wish I would have known as much as I do now about the different kinds of AK's. Since the furniture is pretty bad (especially the butt stock. It is very crooked) I'm planning on replacing them. I'm deciding if I want to do UltiMak rails up front or just some TDI stuff. I was planning on going the Tapco Galil style, but after what I've read about them, and after feeling one of their Galil grips at the gun show...I am totally turned off. I'm considering an underfolder or wire-folder for the butt. I might just go for something full-size though.

Thanks for reading.

BTW, are any of you AK-Nuts in the NE Florida area?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle!

Have you shot it yet?  If you have and it ran without a hitch, then it will run without a hitch until you die.

The buttstock looks fine to me, but you would know I'm sure.

I wouldn't go with anything Tapco if I were you, just my advice.

Another buttstock probably wouldn't correct the problem, it might be the rear tang that's crooked.

If you are going to get an underfolder, you'll have to do machine work on the receiver.  Just in case you didn't know.

I'd keep the wood you have, it looks nice in my opinion.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome To The Dark Side!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, guys.

In fact, after re-examination, it does appear as though the tang is slightly crooked. Is there a fix for this? I was planning on taking her to a gunsmith eventually. I might have some slight cant at the gas block and sights..but then again, it might not be worth fixing.

To answer your question...no, I have not fired it yet. The closest range is a little bit away, and I'm a little intimidated about going for the first time- as I have never really been around firearms or ranges in the past, so I don't know everything about policies and terminology, etc. I am looking to fire it soon, it's been torture...going on 6 months now!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In fact, after re-examination, it does appear as though the tang is slightly crooked. Is there a fix for this? I was planning on taking her to a gunsmith eventually. I might have some slight cant at the gas block and sights..but then again, it might not be worth fixing.

To answer your question...no, I have not fired it yet. The closest range is a little bit away, and I'm a little intimidated about going for the first time- as I have never really been around firearms or ranges in the past, so I don't know everything about policies and terminology, etc. I am looking to fire it soon, it's been torture...going on 6 months now!

ahhh....the first time, always the best.

Just go, or call ahead of time, ask them what their policies are, if you can bring a semi-automatic rifle to the range.  What type of ammunition is allowed.  And ask if a range officer can assist you.  A lot of range officers are skilled in all types of firearms, and some don't know how to handle anything besides a bolt gun and a 30/30.

depends on the area you live I guess.  Just go and learn the rules of safe firearm handling first.  I'm a insane screaming range nazi when I bring my friends for their first time to shoot.  I take them aside for about 15 minutes ahead of time and beat into them the most basic safety requirement, DON'T POINT THE RIFLE IN ANY DIRECTION EXCEPT UP OR DOWN RANGE AT ALL TIMES.  You'd be surprised even after I give them the short lecture they do a sweep on everyone while putting the gun up, I grab it, in a polite way say you do that again and you're going home.  They usually get the point.  Learn Trigger discipline as well.  There should be a tacked thread around here somewhere with all of this stuff layed out.  The scariest thing is, probably 99% of firearm accidents happen by breaking one of these rules.  I've done this (shooting/handling of firearms) for about 10 years, and I have had a serious accident one time while handling one, luckily it was in a safe direction, but that was also not intended.  Take it seriously, but have fun at the same time.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Definately. A few times my friends have asked to take her out into the woods, mostly while intoxicated. I've let everyone know that this gun will never be fired by a drunk person, ever. And when they hold it, I make it CLEAR to them never to point it at anyone...even if I've never even loaded it, and the safety is off. Thank you very much for the advice.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the world of AK's.

It's probably best if you can find an outdoor range for shooting.  If you have a friend that is familiar with basic firearm safety practices, bring him/her along even if that person isn't familiar with AK's.  No matter what the firearm is, the rules still apply.

Then, once you get the basics down, go enjoy yourself.  Oh yes, you will certainly enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Welcome To The Dark Side!

+1
Any AK is better than NO AK!  Be careful though, this little Kalishnikov Sub-Kulture is very addictive!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Hehe, tell me about if, I've been addicted to all-things AK for a few months now, especially viewing these forums. I fear not only for my time, but for my wallet. I haven't even fired my first one yet, and I still want to buy more... (and sexy my current one up as well).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome dude!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
let me give you some advice if you are thinking about selling it.......

don't even think about it until you have shot the living piss out of it

In the past I have turned around and sold MANY guns and not even fired one shot, 1911s, Garands, Mosins, never a good idea looking back
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
3 Things:

Welcome to the Darkside!

www.gunsnet.net/linx310 is a site that will be able to answer almost any question regarding that rifle

and learn to bump that sumbitch
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think I will try to sell it, not unless I'm really short on cash.

Hehe, AKLover- I've studied that site like the bible.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice.

As for bumping- I don't own, nor do I know anyone who owns a large enough chunk of land to go off plinking in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As for bumping- I don't own, nor do I know anyone who owns a large enough chunk of land to go off plinking in.

That's a shame.

What about public/sporting use lands?  Any of those within an hour's drive of your house?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
There are one or two public parks with shooting ranges a couple hours away, but I don't think anything like bump firing is allowed. :-(

My area is growing fast. I wish I had some money, land is still cheap out in texas/arkansas/louisiana..etc. $100k here will buy you about 1/2 an acre. My parents found an 18 acre lot for 300k...but decided against it. TOO BAD!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

For $400 I regret buying it, I wish I would have known as much as I do now about the different kinds of AK's.

Same for me.  But you live and learn.  

Check out the home town forum for guys around you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't worry bout it. I don't even own anything woth bumping....I'll join the darkside someday though, someday...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
What is it you own? For my next purchase I'm looking at purchasing an SKS, but I'm also looking into a Remington 700, or something that can reach out and pinch ya'.

But who knows, I might just buy another AK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
If you stay with the AK thing it'll all work out. In other words,you'll come on a great deal on something (cheap drum mags or divorce sale/crazy buddie guns for example) and it goes back and forth. Your best advantage is to read and study.
Again:  begrüßen Sie meinen Freund
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks SelectFire, and once again I'd like to thank everyone for their warm welcome. I was fully expecting to be chased away with pitchforks (and AK47s) for being a rookie. I look forward to sharing a lifetime of addiction with you all Anyone have a favorite sling that they might suggest?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Any sling you want that works for you. AK slings can be found cheap iffin you want a real one. But, no matter what, don't tapcofuck your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Thanks SelectFire, and once again I'd like to thank everyone for their warm welcome. I was fully expecting to be chased away with pitchforks (and AK47s) for being a rookie. I look forward to sharing a lifetime of addiction with you all

Anyone have a favorite sling that they might suggest?

Hey, we've all been rookies at one point or another.  Just don't act like a snob, and you'll fit right in with the AK crowd.

Oh, and putting Tapco or AR-style furniture on your AK is considered taboo by many on the board...just giving you fair warning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is it you own? For my next purchase I'm looking at purchasing an SKS, but I'm also looking into a Remington 700, or something that can reach out and pinch ya'.

But who knows, I might just buy another AK.

Get an SKS. The SKS and AK are like cousins, and fire the same round.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ahhh....the first time, always the best.

Just go, or call ahead of time, ask them what their policies are, if you can bring a semi-automatic rifle to the range.  What type of ammunition is allowed.  And ask if a range officer can assist you.  A lot of range officers are skilled in all types of firearms, and some don't know how to handle anything besides a bolt gun and a 30/30.

depends on the area you live I guess.  Just go and learn the rules of safe firearm handling first.  I'm a insane screaming range nazi when I bring my friends for their first time to shoot.  I take them aside for about 15 minutes ahead of time and beat into them the most basic safety requirement, DON'T POINT THE RIFLE IN ANY DIRECTION EXCEPT UP OR DOWN RANGE AT ALL TIMES.  You'd be surprised even after I give them the short lecture they do a sweep on everyone while putting the gun up, I grab it, in a polite way say you do that again and you're going home.  They usually get the point.  Learn Trigger discipline as well.  There should be a tacked thread around here somewhere with all of this stuff layed out.  The scariest thing is, probably 99% of firearm accidents happen by breaking one of these rules.  I've done this (shooting/handling of firearms) for about 10 years, and I have had a serious accident one time while handling one, luckily it was in a safe direction, but that was also not intended.  Take it seriously, but have fun at the same time.

-mark

+1 on what Mark said. Very good range safty info. While we treat this like toys.... They are adult toys. They take only once and someone is dead. Congrad on your new rifle. I personally would keep it stok and shoo it awhile. You can take the wood off and sand it and stain it to be some great looking stuff. Been there and done that. Keep the AK simple .It is best that way. WarDawg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top