Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2004 8:28:59 PM EDT
Just a quick question, I'm just purchased a reciever jig from jtag and I ordered my reciever flat from tapco. My only question that I cannot seem to find the answer too is at what temprature and for how long do you heat treat the reciever. Also the rivets seem pretty soft, do they need heat treated too?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have a forge to drop the rec into you only need to treat around the holes. Your rails should have already been treated. I beleive the temp is ~1600 a cherry red color and then a rapid cool down in motor oil (watch for flames and use proper precautions) or water. Some recommend tempering the treated area -- 700 degrees and cool by itself, and some don't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I think i will go the cherry red direction, I,m planing an bending up a few recievers so maybe I will try both way ond see which way works best.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top