Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:00 AM EDT
I bought some headspace gauges from Brownells (7.62x39) and tried to headspace a couple of builds.  My problem is that the bolt is not closing on the gauges completely.

However on a live bullet the bolt closes completely with no play of the bolt.

WTF is happening with the gauges that they will not seat in the chamber completely but an actual bullet will without issue?

Bullet (closed completely)

Go Gauge (almost closed)

No Go Gauge (Bolt closes the same amount as a bullet with .006 of post-it-note on the back (ghetto gauge)) (barely starts to lock up)

Are these builds fine, or am I going to blow my face off?

edit:  pic, and some  verbage
edited: title
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Are these builds fine, or am I going to blow my face off?

Ok the good news is....

Headspace guages are a nice bonus but after..un let me see (20+) kits builds of various types - Having matching bolts, trunions and barrels you stand very little chance of screwing up.

On the other hand there is a chance...so the good news here is ...

Doctors recently completed a full face transplant! let it be known that should and accident occur you can simply have a new face stitched on and move on with life. Pretty cool or what?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You look good....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You are Golden.

I have FEW builds that will close on a US GO gauge.  The definitive test is about 3 live rounds (NO FIRING PIN IN THE BOLT!) as you have done.

Your kits have EXCELLENT minimum headspace.  You want that.  From the pics, the GO is closing just about as much as it should.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well . . . . things didn't go so well . . . . . . .

I am just joking, I am fine.    Although the $25.42 bill from the range was a bit of a shock considering I spent a hole 15 minutes there.

They both ran like a rapped ape!  Hell they even ran better than my Siaga.  

Now  . . . . what to paint them with . . . . .   hummmmmm
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well . . . . things didn't go so well . . . . . . .

www.ccmep.org/2003_articles/Palestine/tom3.jpg

Heh! That ETT isn't secured correctly.  Once you get better I know a good lawyer that will get you a settlement for the larygno trauma you have suffered.

Oh I think your golden w/the head spacing as well
I am just joking, I am fine.    Although the $25.42 bill from the range was a bit of a shock considering I spent a hole 15 minutes there.

They both ran like a rapped ape!  Hell they even ran better than my Siaga.  

Now  . . . . what to paint them with . . . . .   hummmmmm

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That was mean.... but I'm glad your build was tight & worked well :)  Seriously - it sounds and looks as though you got a first class kit, and did a great job building it :)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top