Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:14:26 AM EDT
I need some advice for switching to rails on my AK.  It's not a fore grip configuration that I have ever seen before.  I have a I.O. Inc Romanian built AK Model No. STG-2000-C.  The forward grips are a two piece plastic cover that goes on each side of the barrel/gas tube.  The forward retaining plate is one piece that holds these two pieces together and locks in place with a simple notched bar at the gas block.  The barrel and gas tube are completely enclosed inside this plastic, M-16 looking contraption.  I was thinking that I could change out the gas tube with one that has an actual grip.  Carefully cut off the retaining plate and install a standard lower AK grip with rails.  My problem with that is that I cannot find the lower grip forward retaining plate that pins in place on the barrel.  My barrel does have notches on each side for these pins.  I just need the hardware.  And like I said, I want to switch over to upper and lower 1913 style rails (to mount a red dot or holo sight and a light).  This is my Primary Home Defense Weapon so I want to make d@%# sure its going to function like I want it to WHEN I NEED IT TO in order to protect my family.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you beforehand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need some advice for switching to rails on my AK.  It's not a fore grip configuration that I have ever seen before.  I have a I.O. Inc Romanian built AK Model No. STG-2000-C.  The forward grips are a two piece plastic cover that goes on each side of the barrel/gas tube.  The forward retaining plate is one piece that holds these two pieces together and locks in place with a simple notched bar at the gas block.  The barrel and gas tube are completely enclosed inside this plastic, M-16 looking contraption.  I was thinking that I could change out the gas tube with one that has an actual grip.  Carefully cut off the retaining plate and install a standard lower AK grip with rails.  My problem with that is that I cannot find the lower grip forward retaining plate that pins in place on the barrel.  My barrel does have notches on each side for these pins.  I just need the hardware.  And like I said, I want to switch over to upper and lower 1913 style rails (to mount a red dot or holo sight and a light).  This is my Primary Home Defense Weapon so I want to make d@%# sure its going to function like I want it to WHEN I NEED IT TO in order to protect my family.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you beforehand.

I'm not sure what type of rails you have in mind, and I'm not really a fan of having rails on a rifle unless they serve a specific function.  But since you didn't really lay out your plan, maybe you do need the rail space, IDK.  But, anyway...

If you want a forward mounted optic I would recommend an Ultimak since it is the gold standard for this sort of thing.  If you aren't familiar with them, they replace the gas tube and have an integral rail that allows mounting an optic as low as possible on an AK.  I would recommend the Ultimak (for forward mounted optics) over any of the upper HG mounted rails available, although some of them may work ok.  There are also a few options available that allow you to mount optics in the more traditional location, over the receiver.  I personally prefer rear mounted optics and don't really care for the forward mount/Ultimak solution, but a lot of people feel just the opposite, so it just depends on your own taste.  But, if that is the way you want to go, the Ultimak is the way to do it.

As far as the lower HG is concerned, you may be able to use the bolt on style retainer that is used when people convert their Saigas to a standard AK configuration.  There are some available but I can't remember who makes and/or sells them exactly.  You can probably find it pretty easily if you read a little on the subject of Saiga conversions over on the Russian subforum or over on the Saigaforum.  If these will fit and work properly on your barrel you should be able to mount any syle AK lower HG that you like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I'll definitely check out Ultimak's product line.   I guess I should have been a little more specific in my post.  I am looking for something low on the forward HG for quick target acquisition at say 3 AM while groggy and in a hurry.  I want to mount a holographic or a red dot sight on top and a high lumens light underneath.  Thanks for the info.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top