Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
The reason I bought an AK in the first place was because ammo could be had for seven cents per round. Now that 7.62x39 is getting scarce and expensive has anybody besides me put the AK in the safe and mainly shoot the AR now? I was at a gun show yesterday and 7.62 Barnaul was twenty cents per round.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good AR ammo is still more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Good AR ammo is still more expensive.

I shoot wolf 55gr in my ar with no problems. I shoot which ever one I am in the mood for but am leaning towards the ar to save what is left of my 7.62x39 stock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
AR ammo is more expensive yes.. But it's also more available.  I've got another 1k rounds in the fun stash of x39, after that it's going to be all .223 and .22LR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I've made the temporary switch until I can get my hands on a few thousand rounds of 7.62. Its all good though. Sometimes each gun needs some good quality time
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Naw.  I quit shooting my AK's years ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the cost of the extractors you'll wear out shooting 5.56 Wolf.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't forget the cost of the ejectors you'll wear out shooting 5.56 Wolf.  

I take it the smiley face means you are joking?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I was half-joking.  I'm one of the fools that will pay alot more for XM193 just so I won't have to replace cheap little parts...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was half-joking.  I'm one of the fools that will pay alot more for XM193 just so I won't have to replace cheap little parts...

You DO understand shooting steel cased ammo has ZERO effect on wear of any parts in the AR system, dont you?  That is a myth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not a myth, but the volume you need to fire to get significant additional wear is open to speculation. Steel cases don't stretch the same way brass or alluminum does, and some firearms have problems with extractors. In addition the pressure curve is different for steel cased ammo, and at least one major manufacturer had to recall all of their steel cased .223 because of this issue.

Quoted:
You DO understand shooting steel cased ammo has ZERO effect on wear of any parts in the AR system, dont you?  That is a myth.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's not a myth, but the volume you need to fire to get significant additional wear is open to speculation. Steel cases don't stretch the same way brass or alluminum does, and some firearms have problems with extractors. In addition the pressure curve is different for steel cased ammo, and at least one major manufacturer had to recall all of their steel cased .223 because of this issue.

Quoted:

I have YET to see anything empirical.  Many, many owners of M16's shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo and cannot see any accellerated wear.  Steel used in steel cases is soft.  Harder than brass, yes, but not near as hard as the extractor material.  If we are gonna talk "theories" here, then I'd wager the carbon buildup that gets on the extractor due to normal firing with the direct gas impingement system, leads to more wear on the extractor than the material the case rim is made of.

Do you have access to some studies showing the difference in extractor wear between brass and steel cases, that I am not aware of?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, what a suprise this became a "wolf bad in AR" thread.

I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf 223 in both ARs and Mini14s without any problem. I do make sure I clean the chamber if the ammo was laquered, but lately, it all seems to be the new stuff, so its less work. Not one chewed up extractor. My actual use of this ammo calls bullshit on this argument. YMMV.
Maybe get 'Snopes' on this one, or send OldPainless some ammo and he will gladly shoot it up as a test.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Simple, when I find good ammo at a nice price, I buy it. When ever I found 7.62x39 under $90/1000rds. When Golden Tiger was $65/1000, same as the Sapsan.
I have done the same for my collection of 7.62x25, 8mm, 9mm, 40, and 45acp.
I have also found deals on 223/5.56 in the Czech S&B, UAE, and that black tip Bosnian stuff, I forget what they call it, Walmart Value Packs... Then theres always the 308...
I keep myself supilied well, so I can choose whatever, whenever...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
are you kidden I would rather set myself  on fire than have to shoot my lil black rifle(ar-15)

you have to hold strong ....have faith in your ak
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
No i did not switch to the AR! I switched to my SAR3 which I purchased because of the availability of.223. I just love my AK's so much that the AR only gets out once in awhile
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Hornady recalled all of their steel cased match ammo because of pressure issues. I have no fear of using Wolf in either rifle or pistol calibers, but I've seen some malfunctions that are directly related to case elasticity (or lack there of).

Quoted:
I have YET to see anything empirical.  Many, many owners of M16's shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo and cannot see any accellerated wear.  Steel used in steel cases is soft.  Harder than brass, yes, but not near as hard as the extractor material.  If we are gonna talk "theories" here, then I'd wager the carbon buildup that gets on the extractor due to normal firing with the direct gas impingement system, leads to more wear on the extractor than the material the case rim is made of.

Do you have access to some studies showing the difference in extractor wear between brass and steel cases, that I am not aware of?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I never said 'Wolf was bad', or that I don't use it. Re read my post and draw your own conclusion. BTW, why would the ammo being laquered have anything to do with functioning? Sounds like someone is mixing urban legands

Quoted:
Wow, what a suprise this became a "wolf bad in AR" thread.

I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf 223 in both ARs and Mini14s without any problem. I do make sure I clean the chamber if the ammo was laquered, but lately, it all seems to be the new stuff, so its less work. Not one chewed up extractor. My actual use of this ammo calls bullshit on this argument. YMMV.
Maybe get 'Snopes' on this one, or send OldPainless some ammo and he will gladly shoot it up as a test.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope. AR ammo is still more exspensive than exspensive AK ammo.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Sar 3
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Nope, but I'm shooting much more .308 now because .308 prices have remained the same.  I don't like .223
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Not exactly... I was going to get a VEPR, but given the ammo priceshold
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:16:36 AM EDT
[#24]
hartzpad: +1

this year bought M14, 1919 Browning, HK91, & just need to install barrel assy on DS Fal receiver

another AIM order is coming in Tues, ordered before price increase

also, got prog. press dedicated to 7.62x39

I single stage reload 7.62x51 for the 200 yd shooting, but shoot a heck of a lot of mil. surp.

no Wolf in my AR's, just from range observations, but guys w/ jams prob. got shitty guns and mags to go w/ shitty ammo

but I love Wolf in AK's

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top