Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:13:36 AM EDT
My apologies if this has been addressed in the past but I couldn't find an answer using the 30-day search feature.

I plan to mount an electronic sight on the AK I plan to buy tomorrow. Most likely it will be a Yugo M70 but the dealer in question often has Polish guns, so that may be what I end up with depending on availability. The EOTech 511 presently mounted on my AR will most likely go on the AK. Ultimak's gas tube mount looks like a good setup but I'm concerned with cooking the sight's electronics. Has anyone actually had this occur or is it more theoretical/'net musing?
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 4:28:46 PM EDT
it's a bunch of crap. The issue you'll most likely have is the batteries get too hot and stop providing power.

don't bumpfire and you won't run into this issue.

Also, buy a GG&G accucam. EOTechs like to fall off rifles; ask me how I know
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 7:58:47 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply. I use lithium batteries as a matter of course, so there may be some added heat resistance compared to alkaline cells. I'll definitely think about getting one of those Accucam units. I've tested gravity too many times on other stuff...and gravity seems to win a lot more than I do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 12:39:45 AM EDT
Ive tried that search option myself, doesnt seem to work.

http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=115570
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 1:20:16 AM EDT
EO-Techs and AKs work well on Ultimak rails - but you MUST use lithium batteries due to heat issues.
I would NOT mount an optic to any gas tube rail other than an Ultimak as I've abused them and seen them abused and they are a solid piece of kit.  UTG, Surefire, etc. are all less than optimal.

If you mount ANY optic to a rifle, locktite it - and it helps them NOT fall off
GG&G is accucam is good to have as well if the optic goes down and you're back to using iron sights.

In my perfect world, I prefer EO-Techs but the Aimpoint + Ultimak is a great combination as well.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:54:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xmikex:

EO-Techs and AKs work well on Ultimak rails - but you MUST use lithium batteries due to heat issues.

I would NOT mount an optic to any gas tube rail other than an Ultimak as I've abused them and seen them abused and they are a solid piece of kit.  UTG, Surefire, etc. are all less than optimal.

Good to hear. Thanks for the response.

If you mount ANY optic to a rifle, locktite it - and it helps them NOT fall off

GG&G is accucam is good to have as well if the optic goes down and you're back to using iron sights.

Oh yeah, Locktite and I go waaay back. The Accucam is quite appealing. My first thought was it would be very beneficial in case of a holosight failure.

In my perfect world, I prefer EO-Techs but the Aimpoint + Ultimak is a great combination as well.

I had the distinct advantage of comparing side-by-side the EOTech, Aimpoint and Zeiss Z-point. With my astigmatism, the former was hands-down the most distinct aiming point of the three. The EOThingy has served me well on my AR but it does bug me some that I can't get any kind of a witness on the AK. Oh well, each system has its strengths.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 2:48:30 PM EDT
the Aimpoint micro is the bee's knees. One of those + Ultimak and you have a complete set of knees for multiple bees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 3:59:05 PM EDT by garum]
I had a Tasco Red Dot sight on my Ultimak and it completely fogged up on a hot day, after firing about one mag and about 30-min later another 30 rd mag (not bump firing but firing fairly fast at a match).  This is bad because I couldn't even see the iron sights any more...now I have an Aimpoint but have not tried it yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 7:29:49 AM EDT
Although I have no scientific experience, it seems that there are more complaints with a EOTech + Ultimak than an Aimpoint + Ultimak.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 3:26:50 PM EDT
I'd love to see someone test this with an Ultimak and different red dots to see what works and what heats up and fails.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:28:54 PM EDT
Ultimak's are being used quite a bit in the sandbox with good results.  Due to the nature of the mount and the loops that go under the barrel, it's not unheard of to actually get a bump in accuracy due to the mounting of an Ultimak.  As for cooking the electronics, it would take a very hot rifle to do that, and I'm not convinced you could really do it unless you were in an actual firefight.  The enemy of electronics is heat and dust.  I think it would take a good bit of abuse to kill an Aimpoint.  Right now, my Aimpoint is on a side rail mount, but I may move to the Ultimak because the Aimpoint just works best for me when it's moved a bit more forward than where it is now.  

I had an Aimpoint on an Ultimak on an M1 Carbine before; right over the barrel, which gets hotter than the gas tube (just my opinion), and it never seemed to make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:22:26 AM EDT
Just to clarify - the heat issue with EO-techs is not that the electronics heat up and fail, it's that the batteries heat up and fail.  Lithium batteries help address the heat issue.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:05:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xmikex:
Just to clarify - the heat issue with EO-techs is not that the electronics heat up and fail, it's that the batteries heat up and fail.  Lithium batteries help address the heat issue.  

Then it would make sense it is seen more with Eotechs, as the batteries are near the base versus most of the Aimpoints have it at the top of the scope (and if not AA, is usually lithium by default).
Top Top