Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 10/5/2012 10:57:12 PM EDT
So I notice some excessive wear and tear on my bolt last night. Out of a Romanian SAR-1. It doesn't have the round count to warrant such wear. So for fun I checked the hardness, and its 19 on  Rockwell C scale. This rifle has less than 2k rounds, and it already has significant worn spots, burrs brought up and other defects.

Anyone know what the typical characteristics are supposed to be for these bolts? What is the alloy type and heat treatment specs. Mine certainly doesn't seem to be like it should.

ETA: I'll check it tomorrow on the 15N scale, since it is probably case hardened. But I still know it's too soft.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:01:32 AM EDT
A pic would help, it's hard to tell just from your descriptions since AK bolts are going to have some wear on them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:40:07 AM EDT
Over the years I have noticed that excessive bolt wear on Ak's is usually from lack of lubrication.  Usually the owner of the rifle would use NO lubrication and the bolt would have....you guessed it: excessive bolt wear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:27:21 PM EDT
I can totally relate to you man. I used to have a Romanian SAR-1 that had accelerated bolt wear The cam lug on top of the bolt began to round off excessively and have burs. Also, the end of the bolt stem began to deform from from hammer impacts when firing. The bolt was just soft. I was able to visually compare the wear with Bulgarian and Chinese bolts which had much higher rounds counts. The mating surfaces on those bolts were polished smooth from wear but not deformed or with burs. I'm going to call it inadequate heat treating on my rifle's bolt, and likely yours too.
Top Top