Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2004 6:48:38 AM EST
I have found a SAR-3 at a local shop and am thinking of getting it and changing out the rear trunnion for a folding unit. Anyway, I have since heard that the Romanian receivers are soft and the .223 rifles have a problem with pin holes augering out from the higher pressures and action speeds from the .223 round. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:05:05 PM EST
Mel'

I've got two of these models with several thousand rounds through them. I've experienced no problems, or failures with either one. I have installed the RSA hammers in them, but other than that, pretty much stock. If there's a problem with them, I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:11:16 PM EST
I have one of these too. About 2k rounds through it. No problems. Great Rifle.

And now its EVIL too!

The Pig
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:56:35 AM EST
Love my SAR3. Have the RSA FCG and Wieger mags. No problems once I got the right mags.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:36:56 AM EST
Is $425 a good price for one of these? The gun comes with a five-rounder and a converted Century Arms AK74 magazine.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:48:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Is $425 a good price for one of these? The gun comes with a five-rounder and a converted Century Arms AK74 magazine.

Thanks for the responses.

Hard to say if that price is good or not, they haven't been imported for at least a year. Mine was $360 in March 2003 in MI, and I put another $90 for the RSA FCG. So $425 could be a good price, especially if the crap Century FCG has been swapped out. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $600, FWIW. But I'm not trying to sell.

The converted mag is junk, gun won't function reliably with it. Call Interordinance, see if they still have the Wiegers for $15.00. If they do, I'd recommend the gun, it's a great way to go if you already have ARs in 5.56NATO.

Also, you need the RSA hammer. The Century one will ruin the bolt, which can't easily be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:16:42 AM EST
Where do I get an RSA hammer? Is that Red Star?

Also, the gun is supposedly new old stock so I assume it has still got any and all parts from CAI.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:33:44 AM EST
Actually it might be better to just buy a VEPR in .223 after I consider the cost of upgrading internal parts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:57:55 PM EST
Yes, the hammer is Red Star Arms. With the Red Star hammer and G2 FCG, you could get the Fire Control Group straightened out for about $50 to $60 bucks, the full Red Star Arms adjustable FCG isn't necessary.

I've heard the VEPRs are nice. It will be heaver, and probably more accurate, due to the RPK receiver. It is also better finished. But it also doesn't have the classic AKM styling. The good point with them is that they come with a 20" barrel and they have a sling swivel stud so you can use a Harris Bipod, if you wish. I was considering one a while ago, but I decided that I would rebarrel one of my AR uppers with a 20" Govt Profile barrel instead.
Top Top