Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2008 8:21:53 AM EDT
Harbor freight has 2 different kinds of 12 ton press available. The "A" framed one looks like it might not flex as much as the straight frame and I am leaning towards that one. Anyone have any insight?

VS

"A" Frame is $5.00 more
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
go with the 20 ton for 189
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1 you will be amazed how much better they are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
12 ton H frame works just fine.
The A frame does not have the length to re-install the barrel.
20 ton is really not needed.
Besure to soak the barrel retaining pin with a penetrating oil.
PB , Kroil...
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 12 ton A frame. I press u joints, diff gears, trans gears, bushings etc. For added stroke I am going to bolt it to two 4x12 end cuts on edge. Press works great, no problems in about 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got in the A frame 12 ton press last week and it is pretty good. There is plenty of room for pressing the barrel back in. The 6 ton presses might not have the length. I did not care for all the play the H frame models had.

The only thing I have to gripe about is the slight rocking the adjustable table part has, probably due to not being quite square when I tightened up the bolts. It is pretty easy to move around, not that heavy. I just pressed out the barrel pin and barrel of my Polish UF kit. I await the NDS receiver to put it all back together!
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the 2nd one show from harbor frieght and it was a POS! I had to shim the gaps between the frame and the press beam to eliminate wobble. After that it worked much better. Still not 100% happy with it yet though but it works.
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I tightened the hell out it..

After a few builds i would retighten again.

Little brother finally welded it together.

Can't beat the price
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
you said the A fcrame doesnt have the length to reinstall the barrel? but below someone else posted that it does?
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Haha I thought I was the only one.  I bought my 12 ton h frame years ago for car bearings and such, and I REALLY noticed the wobble when I started doing AKs.  What's up with that shit?  I was thinking of welding it....maybe I will now that I think of it...
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple months ago I bought a 12-ton h-frame press ($80.00 after rebate). Got it from Pep Boys (probably made by the same company as Harbor Freight). It had a lot of play between the ram crosspiece and the uprights. I like projects so I installed some locating bars (saw them on a heavier press) on the ram crosspiece. The bars force the ram to track straight up and down with no side-to-side or for-and-aft play. I've only used it on one AK build (a romy G on an NDS-3 receiver) and it worked well. Removing the barrel pin made it work a little with an audible  snap when the pin finally let go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had gotten the 20 instead of the 12
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad i did! i was gonna get the 12ton but didn't like the wobble.........well that it was my first time in a harbour freight i think the expression kid in a candy shop fits
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I shimmed the ram cross bar with those little sliders for chair at Home Depot - It was a significant improvement.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
you said the A fcrame doesnt have the length to reinstall the barrel? but below someone else posted that it does?

bump this question, as i'm looking to get one soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The "A" Frame will press the barrel in and out.

Quoted:

Quoted:

bump this question, as i'm looking to get one soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had gotten the 20 instead of the 12

I went ahead and got a 50 ton, because if I got a 20 I would be wanting a 40 or 50
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
i have a HF 20 ton. lots of working room with it. pushes out the pins with ease. it came with 2 plates. it takes up a little more floor space, but not much more than the 12 ton.
i tried the 12 ton and i did not care for it at all. i have not talked with any builders that were unhappy with buying the 20 ton, but i did talk to a couple of builders that were not happy with the 12 ton.  no one i talked to was happy with there A-frame and sold them.
they had the 20 ton on sale for $179 and with a 20% off couplon i got it for $143. i think they have it on sale for $189 this week. look around for a coupon.

good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
12 ton H frame built a few Romy Gs for me and my friends.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I have built numerous AK's with my A frame 12 ton and it works just fine.
Contrary to people who don't know, IT WILL press the barrel in and out just fine as well as barrel pins.
Save your money and your space over the 20ton, unless you're buying the rust-welded shut ak kits.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top