Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2003 5:02:27 PM EDT
I have a 2003 SAR-1 that has about 200-250 rounds through it as of today. And back when I got it I noticed that the upper-handguard wobbled just a bit (rotationally, not laterally). Anyway, it does not bother me enough to immediately fix it but it is on my future to do list.

But I do plan to invest in a KVAR black polymer set in the near future and I was wondering, if I install that , will it solve the handguard wobble problem? Or does the source of the movement lie in another place? Any information you guys could give me would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:16:09 PM EDT
Hmmm, let me see (rummages through closet full of dirty clothes and dirty mags to find SAR-1)

Nope, no wobble on top handguard at all. k-var is good.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:54:55 PM EDT
Mine were so tight I had to take a little off the inside ribs in order to get the damn thing on at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:48:45 PM EDT
Ok...I figured the KVARs would be tight. But that does not completely answer my question. Do you think it is solely the handguards that are causing the wobble or is it what they are "attached" to? Because in my mind (correct me I am wrong), whether or not a handguard wobbles is in its attachment. Although I must admit the idea that the KVAR fit as yall describe it sounds good. Might have to bump that up on the "to buy" list. Thanks!

If I am completely off on what I just said please let me know. I am still learning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:00:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattld:
Ok...I figured the KVARs would be tight. But that does not completely answer my question. Do you think it is solely the handguards that are causing the wobble or is it what they are "attached" to? Because in my mind (correct me I am wrong), whether or not a handguard wobbles is in its attachment. Although I must admit the idea that the KVAR fit as yall describe it sounds good. Might have to bump that up on the "to buy" list. Thanks!

If I am completely off on what I just said please let me know. I am still learning.

there is a metal clip that sits in a slot in the handguard. It maintains pressure against the gastube holding the handguard in place. Mine fell out when I took the handguard off. On my MAK's it was set in snug and did maintain pressure--not on the SAR.
If you cna affix it and bend the metal tab out a little it MAY solve your problem. That steel is hard to bend, take it from me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:08:59 PM EDT
But from your first reply, would you say that simply installing the KVAR furniture set will solve the problem? Or will only bending the metal tab fix it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:17:18 PM EDT

But from your first reply, would you say that simply installing the KVAR furniture set will solve the problem? Or will only bending the metal tab fix it?

KVAR furniture WILL solve your problem.
The metal tab fix should but I won't guarantee it. Very easy to take off and try....

Have you done so before?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:28:17 PM EDT
No...Like I said in my first post, the problem has never really seemed tat urgent to fix. I want to do it, but other things need to be done first. So if installing KVAR furniture will solve the problem then I guess I am set.

But a new question has entered my mind. Are the spaces between the upper and lower handguards supposed to be even on both sides? Because the space on the left side of mine ais larger than the space on the right...I think it may have something to do with the fact that my gas tube/block is only slightly canted to the right, but I dunno....

What ya think?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:36:46 PM EDT

No...Like I said in my first post, the problem has never really seemed tat urgent to fix. I want to do it, but other things need to be done first. So if installing KVAR furniture will solve the problem then I guess I am set.

But a new question has entered my mind. Are the spaces between the upper and lower handguards supposed to be even on both sides? Because the space on the left side of mine ais larger than the space on the right...I think it may have something to do with the fact that my gas tube/block is only slightly canted to the right, but I dunno....

What ya think?

Canted gas tube would account for that. However, if your upper HG is loose rotationally that will also cause it to shift some.

It's an AK!
If you want perfection get an AR LMAO
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:48:13 PM EDT
Yeah I got an AR. But for some reason the AK ceases to loose its charm. Thanks for the help. I'll order a KVAR set sooner than expected now. Also, just curious, will the new KVAR set even out the spaces between the upper and lower handguard or are they forever like that? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:40:46 PM EDT
You can align the upper HG to your liking when you fit it, so you can make the spaces even with a little effort, depending upon how tight it fits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:56:18 AM EDT

Yeah I got an AR. But for some reason the AK ceases to loose its charm. Thanks for the help. I'll order a KVAR set sooner than expected now. Also, just curious, will the new KVAR set even out the spaces between the upper and lower handguard or are they forever like that? Thanks!

I know what you mean. there is such a diversity of AK's that I want 'em all. I really never see one I don't want. Pathetic ain't it?!

Ajer is telling you right about the KVAR HG. Good luck.
Top Top