Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 9:08:05 AM EDT
My converted mag seems to not use the bullet guide in the rifle when using the converted mag... drives the round straight forward into the face of the barrel below the chamber and driving the round deeper into the case.

I did the mag modification with the dremel as to let the longer shoulder of the .223 round seat flat and proper in the mag against the mag lips. I looked at the follower and it looks almost identical to the EGerman 5.45 follower that I removed.. The back of the follower is stepped-up a bit, but besides that, it looks like I could also just use these w/ 5.45 '74 ammo

Could RA possibly of sent me the wrong followers in 5.45??? Seems like it to me..

Ideas as to what I may have done wrong?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2010 1:24:32 PM EDT by TnHawk-45]
There is a marked difference in the 223 follower and the 74 one.  The Robinson one for the 223 is much more squared off on top compared to the rounded top for the 74 one.

As to whether they sent you the wrong one, I don't think they sell one for the 74 except the 223 one.  The modification of the underside of the feed lips sounds like it needs adjusting.

Also which 223 AK are you trying to feed with the E German mags?  Never mind just saw you were trying them in a Chiese AK.  All I have ever used them in is a SAR3.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2010 1:45:59 PM EDT by Citadel-SC]
Is this a Bulgy .223 rifle?  This mod does better with 74 based .223 rifles and not AKM based .223 rifles like the Bulgarians.  I tried it once and the bolt would not even move over the mag due to the larger lug on the AKM style bolt.  I  would have had to remove material all the way down the feed lips to widen them.  It could work but I wonder about 100% reliability.  Some report that it works 100%, but I chose to just stick with Bulgy .223 magazines.

ETA: just noticed it is Chinese rifle too.  Also uses AKM geometry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:39:32 AM EDT
Yup, it is a Norinco.. I am just going to stay with the original mags that I have ( 84S steels).. Save the bakelites and polys I have for a future '74 purchase

Pisses me off but what the hell am I supposed to do?.. oh well..

Some people have no issues with their 84S rifles doing this but mine seems to not like it..
Top Top