Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:45:44 AM EDT
My AMD-65 is a headache, but I am committed to fixing it....long story...please help..

First was the horrible accuracy. I removed the brake - no lectures please - and realized the end of the barrel was not perpendicular to the bore and was making the rounds trail off about two feet to the right at 50yds. The end of the barrel was actually longer on one side than the other. My front sight was tilted to the right and even with the drum adjusted to the right as far as it would go, I was only close to the paper. The end is now good to go as my trip to the range yesterday proved. I had to move the drum back to the middle and I was hitting paper plate size groups after a few adjustments.

I had reattached the brake with regular solder for the range trip and it held fine. Since I only fired about 20 rounds total for sighting, the solder never got hot enough to melt, but it will hold until I fix problem number 2...

When I was removing the brake, I noticed it was unscrewing at an angle. Two straight edges on the sides showed the brake was on crooked. After a few more checks with other attachments I know are straight, I realized the end of the barrel had been threaded at an angle. Damn it. I looked down the bore with the muzzle brake attached and realized rounds were coming close to the edge of the brake's opening.

My AMD is the type that uses the longer barrel with the sight near the muzzle brake and not the gas block. The barrel with muzzle brake measures just a hair under 17", so I figure I can cut off the threaded area from the end, re-thread it, and reinstall the brake. I figured it will wind up being 16.25 inches when all is done. When all is fine, I'll either blind pin it, tac weld it, or use some sliver solder.

Anyway, I hope one of you guys out there can loan me a threading kit or let me rent it from you. I only need it for at most two days. I've never threaded a barrel myself either, so any tips would be welcome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
http://dinzagarms.com/tools/tkr.html

Dinzag rents some kits for Saiga conversions, I'd check with him. He's a great guy to deal with.

Z
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I rented a couple of tools from DinzagArms here recently.  I sent an order for a threading kit and a crowning tool, paid for rental, shipping and damage deposit all together.  Got them in less than a week, used the tools in about an hour or two and put them in the mail the next time I went into town, recieved my deposit back.  How much easier could it be, just use plenty of oil, go slow and READ THE DIRECTIONS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I sent Dinzag and e-mail for rental total.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top