Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2007 7:33:09 AM EDT
GOT THE NEW FLYER FROM HF.DRILL PRESS FOR $39.99 PART #38119/44506.USE A 20% OFF CUPON AND GET IT CHEAP!
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]
has anyone used this $40 drill press? How does it work and has it lasted?
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a Delta press from Lowes. MUCH better tool. The HF $40 press was purchased by a buddy of mine, and after using my DELTA there is NO comparison. Lots of plastic and not as well made. If all you are doing with it is drilling holes in AK receivers you might get away with it, but its not well suited to much more, and certainly is not a preciesion tool... Spend around  2 or 3 times as much cash; get a tool ten times better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, use good name brand bits, like Irwin or such. They make all the diffrence.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
A number of us have bought it and good luck with them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had the room for a floor mounted drill press I would get a better one, but for the occasionally dmeilling of a kit or oddball drill work I have to do in my apartment it works just fine.  Best part is it is very easy to move aroudn and store.

That being said, if you plan to doa lot of precision drilling I highly recommend you go with a brand name floor moutned model.  I have run intoa  few clearance issues with the $40 one, and it took a little ingenuity to overcome the problem.

Dawg
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I got one and to be honest it's as good as you expect a $40 drill press to be but it was more stable for drilling than me doing it freehand so it suited my needs. I only expect to do a few builds.

If I get enough money to do more builds I'll get some better tools.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It works great for the job everyone on here is buying it for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
this tool is great for what a hobby builder will need it for.a lot of people spend more going out to eat lunch or dinner.have had one for at least 2 years,did a lot of drilling with no problem.good thing about it if it breaks,throw it out and get a new one,or take it to the scrap yard and turn it in for cash.when i got mine years ago they had free shipping and they sent it us mail.you should have seen the mailman dragging it up the driveway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one and it fine.

It's no bridgport mill or anything, but it does what it should for $40
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 1 too. I'm sure there's better more expensive ones out there but for $40 is does the job.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I've got one. Actually I thought it wa spretty good
for 40.00 Just don't buy the Harbor Freight drill bits.
They suck. It's like drilling with a stick of butter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the input, i'll be picking one of these up friday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I got a Delta press from Lowes. MUCH better tool. The HF $40 press was purchased by a buddy of mine, and after using my DELTA there is NO comparison. Lots of plastic and not as well made. If all you are doing with it is drilling holes in AK receivers you might get away with it, but its not well suited to much more, and certainly is not a preciesion tool... Spend around  2 or 3 times as much cash; get a tool ten times better.

The only plastic on my $40 HF drill press is on the knobs and the power switch.  Everything else is metal.

I've used this drill press on all my builds without any problems whatsoever.  Probably the best $40 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought mine about 4 years ago. Still works and does what its designed for. Smaller drilling jobs. I have finished a couple of lowers with it and I use it for small sanding work as well(chuck a sanding wheel and free hand it) and I will be using it to make the poor mans AK press shortly. Finding a small vice that fit the deck was my dilemma for a while, as the Harbor Freight that I purchased it at never seemed to have the right size ones in stock. I dont regret buying it, and still use it for about %80 of the work I do. Dependable machine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
sometimes better isnt always a good thang

with a good quality press if you bind the bit in the rear trunnion it just breaks it off and your screwed

with the hf it will stall the press
so no broken bit no hour lost trying to dig it out

Link Posted: 2/7/2007 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
If get the bench top press, you are also going to need to buy this:
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30999

Set that drill on the lowest speed it has, use cutting oil, cobablt bits, and it will cut right through the trunions if you are not careful.
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I just picked up this drill press and it looks good for the price. How do I know if I have set the chuck home as they say in the manual? So there be a noise when it locks in or not?

Also what speed is best for drilling through the metal and the rivets?

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
No sound......just get a chunk of 2x4 and smash the empty chuck (jaws recesed)into the wood as hard as you can, that will do it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]
should I be using it on the slowest speed?
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

i have a Delta drill press i got from Lowe's 2 years ago for $99....$99 well spent...!!

i bought one of the little belt sanders from HF that was made in china for $39,,,worked ok for awhile....now the sanding belt will not stay on...
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes. If you don't you will burn out drill bits left and right. Trust me, I know from trial by error.

Here's my set up:
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
what size is your drill press vise,2inch or 4 inch?
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#23]

2 1/2 www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38119

Your also going to need 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts to mount the fixture to the work area of the press.

Also I'd recommend you mount the drill to your work bench.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
what size is your drill press vise,2inch or 4 inch?

2 inch.  I think it is actually 2.5.

I purchased one of these presses and it does the work you need it for on a build.  I also don't have a lot of space for big tools and it doesn't take up much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I have both the 2" and 4" but like the 2" better and use it the most. Nice to know that is what the rest are doing too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. If you don't you will burn out drill bits left and right. Trust me, I know from trial by error.

Here's my set up:

NO!
The drill speed is taylored to the material and bit size!

Chart Here:
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's my set up:

NO!
The drill speed is taylored to the material and bit size!

Chart Here:

Do you own one of these drills? I must've burned out 10 drill bits using the factory recommended speed of the drill. I think the chinese lost something in translation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#28]
harborfrieght one is better imo...  it's 1/3 HP al the other "name brand ones" Delta...etc... is 1/4 hp
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top