Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/22/2003 6:22:33 AM EDT
What do you guys lug you AK in to go to the range?

I would like to get something after Christmas and just don't know what is a good one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Cheapo Ace brand are about $30 at my local shows and work fine. You can spend 50% more on a Galati and get slightly better trim/stitching but the Ace has held up for lots of lugging with the weight of gun/full mags. It has not melted on a bbl that is very warm but not hand-burnign hot. Just get them plenty long (46" is their max) so things like brakes/stock extensions/FALs also fit in your future.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry mine in a Waller & Sons Soft Case. My only gripe is it used to be for my AR so the magazine pockets won't close on anything longer than 20rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I thinkIhave seen those Ace cases at local gunshows.

I'll probably go that way since I don't need fancy. Just putting the rifle in my car and driving 20 miles to the range.

Might have to bet 2 or 3 since I often take more than one rifle with me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty happy with Ace Case. I did break a zipper on one - sent it back to them and they fixed it and shipped it back to me, no charge. That's good customer service.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m really happy with my Galati cases. They’re not the cheapest thing around, but they’re reasonable and very rugged. There’s a lot of padding in those cases to keep your weapon safe along with a tough outer shell and a heavy duty zipper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
 Don't like a gun case that looks like one.
 Duffel type bag that holds two rifles of AK length wrapped in towels.  Towels go on gritty range tables.
 Always seems to be just too much additional stuff.    
Staple gun, staples, muffs, sight tool, notebook, targets, masking tape, chamber flags...
 It's liberating to step out into the yard with a wooden bow and three arrows.
 On the other hand those Galatis do look cool.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got Eagle cases for my Benelli M1 Tactical, G3 clone and NDM-86. They are really well made and hold everything you need. The designs are very well engineered and the finish is superb. Granted, they are ~$100 per, but for $1k guns it seems like a reasonable price. I looked seriously at the Galati and Blackhawk cases and figured the extra money was worth it. It all depends on what you want out of a case and how long you are going to use it. I wanted something smaller and lighter than a hard case that would protect my guns and the scopes and provide storage for mags, cleaning supplies, bipods and miscellaneous stuff. The Eagle bags fit the bill nicely.

Just my $20 ($0.02 after inflation)

CW
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top