AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 7:57:45 PM EDT
TFB
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That's great news, although I am a bit skeptical that this project will ever come to fruition. I really hope it does, though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before thread gets locked for off topic, how is this an AK?
View Quote

It's built at Tula, it uses the same action as an AK, sure the name is different but its something that the AK community might be interested in, I don't know how this is off topic

Here's a picture:
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
An AK based rifle produced in Russia in a proprietary Russian caliber based off of the 7.62x39?  Totally off topic.

I've wanted one since SAR did an article on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm all for this, but I'd rather have some legit mechanical copies of the SVD.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
rather have a bizon or the other one that takes the stick mags. I'd take one of these too. I'm assuming it will be in a different caliber. Didn't read all the comments below the short article.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Before thread gets locked for off topic, how is this an AK?
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely not my thing, but it's always good to see the potential for new rifles hitting the market.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
rather have a bizon or the other one that takes the stick mags. I'd take one of these too. I'm assuming it will be in a different caliber. Didn't read all the comments below the short article.
View Quote

They didn't state clearly which calibers it will be available in, but noted that 7.62x39 is an obvious choice. That would work for me... or 5.45 or 5.56. What concerns me about 7.62 is that there is practically no curvature to the VSS mags (unlike 7.62 AK mags); will the mags feed/function properly?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An AK based rifle produced in Russia in a proprietary Russian caliber based off of the 7.62x39?  Totally off topic.

I've wanted one since SAR did an article on them.
View Quote

It really isn't AK based at all.  Then again, neither is the VZ58, and that seems allowed around here.

The VSS is pretty cool, but I'd rather someone came up with a quality SVD clone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They didn't state clearly which calibers it will be available in, but noted that 7.62x39 is an obvious choice. That would work for me... or 5.45 or 5.56. What concerns me about 7.62 is that there is practically no curvature to the VSS mags (unlike 7.62 AK mags); will the mags feed/function properly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mags are few and far between for those. Would need a new mag made here, or use an existing one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have much faith in /k/ finishing this
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]
why?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

mags are few and far between for those. Would need a new mag made here, or use an existing one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are planning to make the mags. You can see CAD designs of follower and mag body on the linked page.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
They mentioned that they've discussed doing an SVD clone:

"Another Project Member  Bibbidybobbidybobbyaaa • 17 hours ago -
Already talked about it. That would be INFINITELY easier as I actually have access to one and could take a pair of calipers to them for the dimensions rather than just going off pictures. The thing is though, besides being a cultural icon with gun enthusiasts, it's really not that great a rifle. As well, it's banned for import by name. Both the Chinese and Russian models (The Romanian PSL/FPK is actually a COMPLETELY different rifle). I'm not sure what legal problems that would entail.

And it's no VSS. We want the unicorn. Not the donkey."
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

In 5 years we will be asking, what happened to that outfit that was going to make a Vintorez clone?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In 5 years we will be asking, what happened to that outfit that was going to make a Vintorez clone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tho, you are most likely correct, it would be cool if this did get copied and sold for less than $2000
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3
Seriously, if we can reverse engineer a rifle that we don't have access to in the united states, how hard would it be to reverse engineer one that we DO have access to, just ask someone like TX-Zen to borrow his NDM or someone who has a copy.  How come the Chinese are able to do this so easily but we for some reason refuse to?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+3
Seriously, if we can reverse engineer a rifle that we don't have access to in the united states, how hard would it be to reverse engineer one that we DO have access to, just ask someone like TX-Zen to borrow his NDM or someone who has a copy.  How come the Chinese are able to do this so easily but we for some reason refuse to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3

I suspect it's not a question of "can we do this?", it's a question of "can we do this and sell them at a price the market is willing to pay".  As iconic as it is, the SVD is still just a 50 year old rifle, there is no pixie dust or milled unicorn horn used in its production. It will happen sooner or later, once prices for the ones over here rise high enough.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I suspect it's not a question of "can we do this?", it's a question of "can we do this and sell them at a price the market is willing to pay".  As iconic as it is, the SVD is still just a 50 year old rifle, there is no pixie dust or milled unicorn horn used in its production. It will happen sooner or later, once prices for the ones over here rise high enough.
View Quote

dude, prices here are over $5000 for some models, which is insane, if you can build it and sell it under $2000 and you'll have buyers for sure
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

dude, prices here are over $5000 for some models, which is insane, if you can build it and sell it under $2000 and you'll have buyers for sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough buyers to pay for all the CNC equipment, people running it, engineers designing the rifle, the shop it's built in, etc..?  Probably not.  As just a couple years ago you could get a Tigr for $2000, and people were bitching about them being too expensive.  A US made one for the same price point isn't going to be a big seller.

Black Horse Arsenal claimed to be making a US made SVD that would sell for about that price point.  They turned out to be a shady shop who was selling rifles to people/businesses and never delivering them..lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are planning to make the mags. You can see CAD designs of follower and mag body on the linked page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a real 20 rounder, and a 10 - both never inserted and with silver stamps.  How few and far between?

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
This is relevant to my interests.

If they can be produced with the integral supressor in 7.62x39, i would definitely buy one as the ultimate hog/deer gun. slap a good NV scope on that bitch and im set.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Enough buyers to pay for all the CNC equipment, people running it, engineers designing the rifle, the shop it's built in, etc..?  Probably not.  As just a couple years ago you could get a Tigr for $2000, and people were bitching about them being too expensive.  A US made one for the same price point isn't going to be a big seller.
View Quote

If we could get a coalition of the willing together like these dudes at /k/ or whatever, we could make one through sheer 'Murican willpower, the type of will power that won 2 World Wars, a  Cold War, and built this great country

maybe I'm just an idealist
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If we could get a coalition of the willing together like these dudes at /k/ or whatever, we could make one through sheer 'Murican willpower, the type of will power that won 2 World Wars, a  Cold War, and built this great country

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm down. I'm a mean %*$@&! with Solidworks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have much faith in any board on 4chan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If they can be produced with the integral supressor in 7.62x39, i would definitely buy one as the ultimate hog/deer gun.
View Quote

So, you need a rifle that does everything an AR in 300 BLK does, except really expensive.  Got it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So, you need a rifle that does everything an AR in 300 BLK does, except really expensive.  Got it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they can be produced with the integral supressor in 7.62x39, i would definitely buy one as the ultimate hog/deer gun.

rriiiiggghhhtttt. I'd take 7.62x39 over 300blk any day, because I can actually find it and then afford to shoot it. But, I digress...

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us collect AK's
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're in the wrong part of the house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, who needs something different when you can have an AR that shoots stupid expensive ammo that does the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it is based totally on the real VSS Vintorez, it'd be in 9x39mm subsonic. They also have internal suppressors which would make it a title II firearm. I've never ran across a 9x39mm anything here in the states yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If it is based totally on the real VSS Vintorez, it'd be in 9x39mm subsonic. They also have internal suppressors which would make it a title II firearm. I've never ran across a 9x39mm anything here in the states yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hand load - it aint hard - we have dummies.  and i dont mean 4chan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dummy 9x39 rounds made it to the states? Do tell. I know a few members here have an AS VAL or a VSS; but I always wondered where they got ammo for them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dummy 9x39 rounds made it to the states? Do tell. I know a few members here have an AS VAL or a VSS; but I always wondered where they got ammo for them.
View Quote

wait...wut
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

wait...wut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wait...wut

I swear that there was a pic thread I stumbled on about a year or 2 ago... I'm gonna have to go look around now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I swear that there was a pic thread I stumbled on about a year or 2 ago... I'm gonna have to go look around now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wait...wut

That's impossible, unless illegal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wait...wut

Eh, I can't find it anyway... Must've been pics of Russian military ones.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, who needs something different when you can have an AR that shoots stupid expensive ammo that does the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand collecting, my comment was directed towards 'the ultimate hog/deer gun'.  It's OK to say 'I want one because it's cool'.  

If you can build an AK or a Vintorez, you can reload 300 for less than .20 cents a round, if you apply yourself.  The most expensive .300BLK in the world is still cheaper than any 9x39mm in this country.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure you are you're talking about America winning two world wars a cold war and blah blah. While saying we should get people together to build a Soviet era DMR.  Anyhow not trying to be a jerk I was just amused at the irony.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I understand collecting, my comment was directed towards 'the ultimate hog/deer gun'.  It's OK to say 'I want one because it's cool'.  

If you can build an AK or a Vintorez, you can reload 300 for less than .20 cents a round, if you apply yourself.  The most expensive .300BLK in the world is still cheaper than any 9x39mm in this country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that he doesn't want one in 9x39, (which doesn't even look to be available) he wants one in 7.62x39. Which costs about $0.30/round already loaded. Less if you buy bulk, and it will sometimes come in a spam can for nice, protected storage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pretty sure you are you're talking about America winning two world wars a cold war and blah blah. While saying we should get people together to build a Soviet era DMR.  Anyhow not trying to be a jerk I was just amused at the irony.
View Quote

it's hard to convey a tone of sarcasm using only written words
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Except that he doesn't want one in 9x39, (which doesn't even look to be available) he wants one in 7.62x39. Which costs about $0.30/round already loaded. Less if you buy bulk, and it will sometimes come in a spam can for nice, protected storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a Vintorez in 7.62x39 and likely not suppressed...probably for $2k+...and no mag situation solution...  I like cool ideas...but pass...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
A few VAL/VSS rifles are stateside. They came in as kits and some very expensive receivers and suppressors were made, from my understanding the kits were also VERY expensive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

+2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

And again...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top