Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/21/2004 6:49:02 PM EDT
Friday I got my yugo sks and decided to do a little passgas55 engineerring on it. First I took it all apart and cleaned the cosmo off. then I got rid of all those evil features. Then I added my scope mount. Then I got this bright idea about staining the stock green. Put every thing pack together today. Still have some minor work to do but I have to take it to the range first. That green stock: keep it or over spray a tan/moss pattern

community.webshots.com/album/190598330LoxTAA      

Trying to make link hot but I am a dumbass(keep on forgetting about the slash)Got it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot one like that about a month ago in KY. It was okay, but the detachable mag was a PITA and didn't want to stay in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
yuck! but to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd overspray it.  It's probably a good base for a camo job, but right now it looks like a stock made from pressure-treated lumber.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno. The more I look at it the more I'm thinkin "yea, why not"! I've definitely seen worse.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Swamp Thang!  hippie.gif  Looks OK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you get the grenade launcher off?  

Please be specific and clear so I can easily follow suit hanks.
-mark
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a hacksaw to cut the barrel. The first thing I did was to cut the bayonet lug off with a dremel tool. Then I removed the grenade sight.Then I took some electrical tape and taped as round asI can where I wanted to cut the barrel to remove grenade launcher.This is so that I had a guide to cut with my hack saw. Make sure to use a brand new blade , the shortest blade that will fit your saw and use a fine tooth blade. Then I took a fine file and removed the sharp edges on the barrel. Also past the file in a circular motion on end of barrel to smooth the cut and make sure it is square. Then I took a pointed grinding stone for my hand drill and add some polishing compound on the grinding stone. Then I lightly and slowly cut a crown on the end of the barrel. Being a sks I figured that the crown I give it should be good enough. Then I degreased the end of the barrel and  cold blued all the cuts. Now you can also nock the pin out on the grenade laucher and thread it off. I think they are right hand threads. Use a penatrating oil and tap on it before trying to remove it. You may need a vise. I cut mine off so that I did not have to deal with them threads.The barrel is a little lest than 20". I wanted to cut it at 16.5" but I would then have to taper the barrel to get the front sight back on. The rifle balances a lot better now. I also removed the rubber butt pad and added a metal butt plate. I added my scope tonight and also a buffer. Friday I hope to take it to the range to see how she shoots. I will shoot with the gas valve closed so to save on my cheap scope.When hog hunting it will be in the semi auto mode. I will do a range report of the green monster and if everything is ok I finish up all the little odds and ends on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I kinda like the green.  It  just needs to be darker IMO.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, ya don't see many like that!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Id leave it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it looks cool, what did you use to stain it? I have a synthetic stock on mine, might have to try this on the original...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The first thing I did was to clean the stock with mineral spirits by wipping it down then I used a paint brush and really washed it down. Then I made a aluim foil(left over from my tinfoil hat)container that the stock would fit in and dump a bottle of 46 cents rubbing alcohol on top of it. Then used a brush to bask it real good for about 5 min per side. Did this again with a fresh bottle.Let it dry and then lightly sand it down. Went to home depot and got a water base stain, minwax, "Green Tea". Wiped it kinda thick to get that good look of pressure treated wood. After I let it dry I sprayed a clear satin pylurthane coat 3 times.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]
HEADLINE:

Emerald City Special Forces present new aquisition !!!

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top