Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/21/2004 5:49:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 6:48:10 PM EST by passgas55]
Friday I got my yugo sks and decided to do a little passgas55 engineerring on it. First I took it all apart and cleaned the cosmo off. then I got rid of all those evil features. Then I added my scope mount. Then I got this bright idea about staining the stock green. Put every thing pack together today. Still have some minor work to do but I have to take it to the range first. That green stock: keep it or over spray a tan/moss pattern

community.webshots.com/album/190598330LoxTAA

Trying to make link hot but I am a dumbass(keep on forgetting about the slash)Got it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:34 AM EST
I shot one like that about a month ago in KY. It was okay, but the detachable mag was a PITA and didn't want to stay in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:52:03 AM EST
yuck! but to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:36:09 AM EST
I'd overspray it. It's probably a good base for a camo job, but right now it looks like a stock made from pressure-treated lumber.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:30:51 PM EST
I dunno. The more I look at it the more I'm thinkin "yea, why not"! I've definitely seen worse.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:35:40 PM EST
Swamp Thang! hippie.gif Looks OK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:35:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 3:36:09 PM EST by MauserMark]
How did you get the grenade launcher off?

Please be specific and clear so I can easily follow suit hanks.
-mark
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:05:44 PM EST
I used a hacksaw to cut the barrel. The first thing I did was to cut the bayonet lug off with a dremel tool. Then I removed the grenade sight.Then I took some electrical tape and taped as round asI can where I wanted to cut the barrel to remove grenade launcher.This is so that I had a guide to cut with my hack saw. Make sure to use a brand new blade , the shortest blade that will fit your saw and use a fine tooth blade. Then I took a fine file and removed the sharp edges on the barrel. Also past the file in a circular motion on end of barrel to smooth the cut and make sure it is square. Then I took a pointed grinding stone for my hand drill and add some polishing compound on the grinding stone. Then I lightly and slowly cut a crown on the end of the barrel. Being a sks I figured that the crown I give it should be good enough. Then I degreased the end of the barrel and cold blued all the cuts. Now you can also nock the pin out on the grenade laucher and thread it off. I think they are right hand threads. Use a penatrating oil and tap on it before trying to remove it. You may need a vise. I cut mine off so that I did not have to deal with them threads.The barrel is a little lest than 20". I wanted to cut it at 16.5" but I would then have to taper the barrel to get the front sight back on. The rifle balances a lot better now. I also removed the rubber butt pad and added a metal butt plate. I added my scope tonight and also a buffer. Friday I hope to take it to the range to see how she shoots. I will shoot with the gas valve closed so to save on my cheap scope.When hog hunting it will be in the semi auto mode. I will do a range report of the green monster and if everything is ok I finish up all the little odds and ends on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:26:37 PM EST
I kinda like the green. It just needs to be darker IMO.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:26:18 AM EST
Well, ya don't see many like that!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:29:30 AM EST
Id leave it
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:41:41 AM EST
I think it looks cool, what did you use to stain it? I have a synthetic stock on mine, might have to try this on the original...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:21:13 PM EST
The first thing I did was to clean the stock with mineral spirits by wipping it down then I used a paint brush and really washed it down. Then I made a aluim foil(left over from my tinfoil hat)container that the stock would fit in and dump a bottle of 46 cents rubbing alcohol on top of it. Then used a brush to bask it real good for about 5 min per side. Did this again with a fresh bottle.Let it dry and then lightly sand it down. Went to home depot and got a water base stain, minwax, "Green Tea". Wiped it kinda thick to get that good look of pressure treated wood. After I let it dry I sprayed a clear satin pylurthane coat 3 times.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:46:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 12:47:44 PM EST by freshhoarse]
HEADLINE:

Emerald City Special Forces present new aquisition !!!

Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top