Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2017 3:40:47 PM EDT
Okay, anyone who knows me and my tastes could easily accuse me of losing my mind for buying a gun ( I hesitate to even use that term ) made by Century Arms.  However, there is a method to my madness...so bear with me.

I am in the process of building an ACTUAL Galil using an ARM kit and CNC Warrior components....however, this is a long term project for various reasons.    While at my gunsmith's shop last week, I happened to see a Golani that had been gone over and refinished by AZEX Arms.  The gun was smooth and really nicely finished...but I knew, I could SMELL something wasn't quite right with it.  It smelled like the stink of Century Arms wafting though the otherwise nice looking gun.

So, wanting to learn about the Galil....my crazy ass bought it.

After stripping it down, I was stunned to see that everything was very neat and clean.  The trigger is shit....but that is not uncommon on any AK platform.  I can deal with that later.

The gun just seemed.....well, too good to be true.  Don't worry....Century did not fail to disappoint.

It was when running dummies through the action that I found the source of the stench.

The feed ramp is positioned too far forward of the front of the magazine so the cartridge lift timing is WAYYYY retarded.

The snoot of the bullets ( be it left side or right side feed ) smacks right into the chamber face because only the neck of the bullet is hitting the feed ramp when the bullet tip gets to the chamber.  By this time the SHOULDER of the cartridge should be riding up the feed ramp.  The bullet tip needs to be about 70 thou higher (give or take) in order to ride over the lead of the chamber.

Here is the position of the feed ramp without a cartridge in the way:

Now, the next pic is a mockup, but even when firmly fixed, I get the same result.

Here is a PROPER Galil bullet guide position.  Note how the leading edge of the bullet guide runs right up to and just over the FOLDS of the magazine body, as to with the Golani, you can see the front magazine locking tab very clearly under the bullet guide.  So....I need to move the bullet guide BACKWARD toward the shooter.

Lemme tell ya, that chopped up Galil receiver has been all kinds of handy.

Sooooooo, I posted this for the future reference of other people who WILLLLL have or discover this issue.

Here is my main question for all you builders out there:

WHAT RIVET CAN I ACQUIRE ( AND WHERE CAN I ACQUIRE IT ) that fixes the bullet guide to the reciever.  I am going to shim the guide backward about 100 thou and I need to fill and re-cut the rivet hole position to compensate.  When I am done...I need a rivet.

Any advice as to what rivet and where I can get it?

Thank you, Gang!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ak bullet guide rivet

Maybe one for an ak will work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure the rivet you seek can be found here
www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/receiver-pins/ak-rivet-set-sku100006776-42442-78873.aspx?rrec=true

Or you could just tap the hole & use a machine screw & rocksett like we did in the old days when AK rivets used to cost insane $$.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure the rivet you seek can be found here
www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/receiver-pins/ak-rivet-set-sku100006776-42442-78873.aspx?rrec=true

Or you could just tap the hole & use a machine screw & rocksett like we did in the old days when AK rivets used to cost insane $$.
Good luck.
View Quote
It's a common mod and I am thinking of doing just that and using a decked acorn nut to finish it.  I can get high end fasteners so I don't have to worry about cheap Chinese shit screws.

That being said...off to Brownells!!!

Thank you!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
in before
'it's a trash can gun, just weld a bead across there".
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
in before
'it's a trash can gun, just weld a bead across there".
View Quote
LOL....PEOPLE HAVE DONE THAT!!!!

I am NOT one of them.

I did just realize that the bullet guide is also part and parcel to the left side locking arrangement and I can't yank it without yanking the barrel.

Looks like it's going out for lovin' as I don't liek the idea of having to re-time the barrel.  I am not set up for it.

Everything else...seeeeeeems....okay.  In fact, I was surprised at how well finished everything was UNDER the finish.  Leave it to Century to fuck something sooooo simple up.

I will say this.....by the time I get done with this damn thing, I'll be up to speed on the Galil system.  My REAL Galil will be set up completely right.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
K-Var has rivets for under $2 each: https://www.k-var.com/parts-ak#/specFilters=49!#-!30668&pageSize=12&viewMode=grid&orderBy=5&pageNumber=1

Ah, Century. Expect disappointment and you won't be disappointed.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
K-Var has rivets for under $2 each: https://www.k-var.com/parts-ak#/specFilters=49!#-!30668&pageSize=12&viewMode=grid&orderBy=5&pageNumber=1

AJ
View Quote
Century NEVER fails to disappoint!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ
Disappointment is CAI's core competence.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Century makes the best project guns.

My APEX kit is also going to be a long-term project. Right now I'm just happy to have the kit and carry handle.

The handguard is a bit trashed for my liking, so I'll be looking for a replacement in the meantime. I've heard rumors that Ironwood will make a Galil handguard if you send them the hardware and teak.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Way way back, 20 years or so ago, CAI put together a good FAL on Imbel receivers  & a Good CETME on the sheetmetal receiver, the price was right too. HERE in NY the now defunct wholesale guns and ammo had them stacked deep & all for under $300.
I think it had more to do with the very high quality of the parts kits & receivers that were available back then, than it had to do with skills of their employees though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

AJ
View Quote
They are incredible at sucking.  Love their imports, though.  Just not what they build.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Century makes the best project guns.

My APEX kit is also going to be a long-term project. Right now I'm just happy to have the kit and carry handle.

The handguard is a bit trashed for my liking, so I'll be looking for a replacement in the meantime. I've heard rumors that Ironwood will make a Galil handguard if you send them the hardware and teak.

Have fun.
View Quote
Yeah, my handguard is shot to shit.  I steamed 40 years of oil out of it now I have all of the cracks filled with Acra Glass.

I was speaking to Jeff at Hillbilly and he listed this whole slew of stuff wrong with the Century receivers.  At first I was gonna have my smith just do the bullet guide.   After about five minutes I said, "Jeff....shoot me your FFL....and send me the tab.".

It was just too much.

LOL.....and I haven't even started on the APEX yet....but that is gonna be a bucket of sweet.  I am going slightly different on that build.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are incredible at sucking.  Love their imports, though.  Just not what they build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ
Totally agree.

As long as CAI's involvement is limited to stamping a butt ugly import stamp in a incredibly obnoxious place, their products are ok. The more involved they are in actual manufacturing the more trouble you're likely to be in.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
did you actually run live ammo through it or hand cycle dummies?   if AZEX went through the gun I would be surprised if it didn't run decent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
did you actually run live ammo through it or hand cycle dummies?   if AZEX went through the gun I would be surprised if it didn't run decent.
View Quote
Turns out you are right.  Ran about 100 or so various 55 and 62 grain rounds through it.  It ran like a sewing machine!

I was pretty surprised.  Not that a gun Derek did wouldn't run...but I just thought that he had only refinished it.

Now, I have my CNC Warrior receiver in.....so I now have various ideas for THAT project now that I got my feet wet on the R4!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Could not believe how well it ran!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I kinda want one of those... that works...
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I kinda want one of those... that works...
View Quote
...and therein lies the rub.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top