Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 1:04:13 PM EDT
I am heading there this weekend.  Anyone got any good suggestions for outdoor rifle ranges?  I'll be close to SMU.

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.elmfork.com/

I do most of my shooting here when Im not on private land.

ETA: Might want to move this to the Texas forum.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you posted this is the AK forum, I am assuming you might be shooting an AK. Elm Fork is a great range, but I don't think they allow AK's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot mine there all the time.

The dont however allow FMJ ammo. Soft tip only.

Grab some silver bear rounds on your way in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And they don't allow full auto, and I've seen the guys there act linke complete assholes towards paying customers.  I'll never shoot there again after seeing how they treated a situation.  Quail Creek is the only place I go now, and DFW gun range if I want to shoot full auto or FMJ.  Mostly though, I shoot on private land.  No restrictions then, just common sense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The guys are assholes.  I have gone twice with soft point ammo.  They do not want certain people shooting AKs at all.  Since I am  a minority, that means my type.  I shoot at DFW & Bullet Trap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, had no idea they treated people like that.

I will rethink where I spend my money from now on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Another alternative, while not outdoors, is The Shooting Gallery in Fort Worth.

It's primarily pistol lanes only, but there are 2 rifle lanes.  FMJ is fine, no steel core allowed.  I've been several times, always had a good time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow, had no idea they treated people like that.

I will rethink where I spend my money from now on.

Yea it's a shame, b/c IMO it is a very nice range looks wise and very clean, and in a decent location near the city.  The way they treat customers though keeps me from ever going there again.  Shame too, b/c I ALWAYS bring lots of friends with me when I go shooting.  Quail Creek is the place to go.  Very nice, and if you go on weekday afternoons/mornings like I do, there is no one else there half the time which is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quail Creek is getting better.  They had a rep for bad range nazi's and that seems to have improved over the past two years.  I go there pretty regularly now.  No FMJ, shots must be two seconds apart and as long as you don't act like a jack ass, you will have fun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been in contact with Sam Moore of Elm Fork. He says that you can shoot AK's on their range, 50 yard or 30 yard tactical bay. Sam says the tactical bay is used because most AK shooters use FMJ ammo.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been in contact with Sam Moore of Elm Fork. He says that you can shoot AK's on their range, 50 yard or 30 yard tactical bay. Sam says the tactical bay is used because most AK shooters use FMJ ammo.

So you can shoot FMJ in their "Tactical bay" now?

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
This would be news to me as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This would be news to me as well.

It sure won't make me start shooting there again, but it'd be cool to hear that a place hear actually lets you use FMJ.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The reason I contacted the range, is that I have shot my AK there along side others who were using FMJ rounds and when I read the post saying no AKs, I had to check. The RSOs do prohibit FMJ on their "regular" rifle range but not in the tactical bay.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not a range per say but I can bring you to the lease as a guest? :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the suggestions!  We went to Elm Fork and it looked really nice.  But we went on a Saturday and the lines were so long people were waiting behind shooters just to get a lane.  Didn't want to mess with that, nor the line to pay, so we left. Thanks for the offer Saigaman!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top