Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:27:03 AM EDT

The core/jacket "separation" on the sides is due to the lead core being compressed in the fixture I held the bullet in to section it, while the jacket "sprang" back after the bullet was released from the fixture.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, thanks for doing that for us! I heard rumors the Golden Tiger was FMJBT which helped accuracy, but I guess this confirms it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
M67 style
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow. Thats a large void. Any chance you could do a second one to see if its consistent?

Does anybody know if there are any gel test out there for GT?
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting info.Thank you for sharing.
Would be interested in a gel test myself
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#5]
currently in stock at SGAmmo.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Dropped by almost 60 full cases in the time it took me to submit my order! HURRY!!!!  132 left!

Quoted:
currently in stock at SGAmmo.com

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Got mine 77 cases left. . . .
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Still in stock.. it seems the Ammo crisis is slowly winding down, its been in stock for 13 minutes AND posted about online!

Getting back on topic, I'm looking for the same info as Toledo:
"Wow. Thats a large void. Any chance you could do a second one to see if its consistent?

Does anybody know if there are any gel test out there for GT?"

Also how capable would this round be then? Something effective on hogs, or is JSP required for that job? I ask because I heard of all the folks using .223 on hogs, while people seem to be leery of anything non-JSP in 7.62x39 on hogs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Hoping someone bought me 1200 rounds to trade for my complete M4 lower. I still cannot believe noone has done this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still in stock.. it seems the Ammo crisis is slowly winding down, its been in stock for 13 minutes AND posted about online!

Getting back on topic, I'm looking for the same info as Toledo:
"Wow. Thats a large void. Any chance you could do a second one to see if its consistent?

Does anybody know if there are any gel test out there for GT?"

Also how capable would this round be then? Something effective on hogs, or is JSP required for that job? I ask because I heard of all the folks using .223 on hogs, while people seem to be leery of anything non-JSP in 7.62x39 on hogs.

I have seen other GT rounds sectioned and my findings are identical. That was a lot of time with some sand-paper...
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M67 style

M-67 Style? No. Not at all.

M-67 is flat based with no airspace. This is boat-tailed with airspace. Two different animals.

I've sectioned some of the earliest GT that was imported and it too has the boattail/airspace construction... So they seem to be consistent in construction to date.

1DD
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M67 style

M-67 is flat based with no airspace. This is boat-tailed with airspace. Two different animals.

I've sectioned some of the earliest GT that was imported and it too has the boattail/airspace construction... So they seem to be consistent in construction to date.

1DD

You or anyone you know shot anything with it? Does it yaw very early?
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
OOS at SGAmmo
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M67 style

1DD

My bad, I wasn't sure, been awhile since I was deep into 7.62x39. I knew the M43 (PS) was the steel core boat tail , Then when I read your post it came back to me the Yugo flat base solid lead M67  duh
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
An acquaintance of mine has agreed to test some of this round in gel for me as he is curious, as well, as to its performance. He is a busy individual, so we might have to wait for a while, but the data will be well worth it, as it will be conducted in a lab quality setting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#16]
The center of gravity being to the rear of the projectile should cause it to tumble sooner than M-43, but it's longer length compared to M-67 should make it tumble later than M-67. I'd expect to see something inbetween M-43 and M-67...

1DD
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M67 style

1DD

I agree with the flat base part, but I understood that the M67 DID incorporate the aircavity much like the Soviet 5.45x39! It was the original M43 that did not have the cavity. If you google M67 you will find videos and reports of hogs being shot with them with good results. You also need to check out the hollow point's with the inside serations in the jacket, called the 8M3.

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#18]
NOPE. The M-67 does not have an airspace. It tumbles because the center of gravity is to the rear as a result of it's flat based design. I have sectioned numerous M-67 and M-67 types and none of them have an airspace like the 7n6. Some M-67 or M-67 types have a very small airspace in the tip, like the size of the head of a pin, but this is not intentional nor does it have any effect on it's performance, it is simply a manufacturing artifact.

I have also sectioned many other Russian and other 7.62x39mm projectiles, including the 8m3. I do not beleive that the 8m3 was designed to meet a specific goal of lethality or anything else. I think the scoring is simply a result of manufacturing technique. I have other examples of various internal jacket configurations that suggest manufacturing intent, not performance.

1DD
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NOPE. The M-67 does not have an airspace. It tumbles because the center of gravity is to the rear as a result of it's flat based design. I have sectioned numerous M-67 and M-67 types and none of them have an airspace like the 7n6. Some M-67 or M-67 types have a very small airspace in the tip, like the size of the head of a pin, but this is not intentional nor does it have any effect on it's performance, it is simply a manufacturing artifact.

I have also sectioned many other Russian and other 7.62x39mm projectiles, including the 8m3. I do not beleive that the 8m3 was designed to meet a specific goal of lethality or anything else. I think the scoring is simply a result of manufacturing technique. I have other examples of various internal jacket configurations that suggest manufacturing intent, not performance.

1DD

What about the airspace in the GT? I take it it is a little bigger than the M-67 you  have seen? Is it going to make much of a difference down range?

Always nice seeing another Vermonter here!
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Back at ya Vermontah!!

There is essentially no airspace in the M-67. In the odd case that there is, it is a manufacturing artifact and not intentional. The airspace in the GT is huge by comparison, but the center of gravity is not as far back as the M-67 so performance (yaw) will be different.

1DD
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#21]
[Edited to remove my question.  I just saw it answered.]

Thanks.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
would be very interesting to see a ballistic gel test between M43 M67 and the GT projectile
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting stuff.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#25]
It tumbles at about the 4" mark. Not too shabby for a commercial load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gknVTUd7tY
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Accurate too. From a few years ago:

2" 100yds Golden Tiger Romanian G home built AK.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top