Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 3:41:36 PM EDT
 Hi guys Hope someone can help with some suggestions.  I just bought mail order form CDNN 6 Gailil 35 round mags to augument the two I got with the weapon.  My problem is 4 of them won't seat far enough into the mag well to allow the mag catch to lock in place.  I really had to work to get the other two to work.  They finally lock into place,but are very tight.  Much tighter than the two that came with the weapon.  Any ideas on how to make the other 4 work?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a Golani at a gunshow in February and had to send it back to Century.  I returned/exchanged rifles with them four times before I received one that worked properly(improper heat treat/soft ejectors was the main issue).  One thing I noticed is that one of the drunk monkeys at Century must have a new welder because he likes to experiment with practice welds on Golani mag catches.  After I sent back the first rifle, they returned it "repaired," and evidently one of the repairs was to weld material onto the top of the mag catch(ugly, amateurish, and unacceptable weld).  Problem was, the magazines I had all fit fine before I returned the rifle.  None of them fit after the "repair."

Sent the rifle back since they didn't(couldn't?) fix the soft ejector problem.

They sent a new rifle.  It already had a dent in the ejector upon arrival.  I again returned the rifle.

Third rifle shows up.  I also arrives with a welded mag catch.  Only one magazine fits.  I had to use a small file to remove the excess material from the mag catch just so I could test fire it.  I took it to the range and fired 20 rounds.  The first few rounds land 15-20 feet at the 2 o'clock position.  By the time I fired the 20th round, it's landing about 10 feet at the 4 o'clock position.  Ejector failure.  Again, the rifle is returned.

To make a short story long, the last rifle finally had proper heat treatment(the dust cover fit was another matter entirely, but that I was able to fix).  I also need to have the chamber polished/reamed for 100% reliability, but I'll live.  Anyway, you can tell if they've been dinking around with the mag catch.  It won't look nice and smooth at the very top.  Either way, you can repair it with a small file, and go nice and slow when you remove steel from the top of the catch.  You can also use Magic Marker and mark the tab on the magazines.  When you insert a magazine, the marker ink will rub off on the high spots, and this will allow you to see where more metal needs to be removed.

Or you can take your chances and send your rifle back to Century along with all of your magazines and tell them that they all should fit.   It depends on how much you trust these guys to do the job right AND return all of your magazines.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
This makes me wonder if it is a common issue with the Golani to have the mag catches out of spec. My problem is that the Galil mags sit too low and the bolt travels over the top of the rounds in the mag. It works with Tapco mags and my AR mag adapter though, which are both tight in most Century builds from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
This makes me wonder if it is a common issue with the Golani to have the mag catches out of spec. My problem is that the Galil mags sit too low and the bolt travels over the top of the rounds in the mag.

I don't know.  Like I said earlier, the first rifle I had worked with all my mags.  It stopped working properly only after Century tried to fix a non-existent problem.

Do you have a milled ORF manufactured receiver, or is it one of the newer cast versions(Caspian)?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 Hi guys Hope someone can help with some suggestions.  I just bought mail order form CDNN 6 Gailil 35 round mags to augument the two I got with the weapon.  My problem is 4 of them won't seat far enough into the mag well to allow the mag catch to lock in place.  I really had to work to get the other two to work.  They finally lock into place,but are very tight.  Much tighter than the two that came with the weapon.  Any ideas on how to make the other 4 work?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A bit of filing the bottom side and back side of the rear magazine latching "stub" (for lack of better description) is normally all you would need to get the mag catch to lock.  Look at the magazine closely while it is in the rifle before you start filing.  Go slow because you don't want a loosely fit magazine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
bravo5two has the answer. If you need to modify something, do it to the cheapest, most replacable part. From the sounds of it, you shouldn't have to take too much off to make them work.

Mine is a GLN (Caspian) with the F mark. If I were going to run factory mags then I'd hit it with a bead on top of the mag catch and fix the problem for good. The AR mag adapter negates the need for this as like most on this board, I happen to have a few AR mags around
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top