Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2006 3:53:34 PM EDT
I was wondering what the generally accepted order of demilling an AK is.  I'm doing my first build, and seen lots of FAQ's about how to put it back together, but not many about taking it apart first.  From what I can glean the order would be:

1) Clean Cosmoline off(duh)
2) Press out barrel pin/press out barrel
3) Grind off rivit tops
4) punch out Rivits

and reassemble per the various FAQ's from here

Oh, and my gas piston seems loose in the bolt assembally, is this normal?  I have a chinese AK where there is like NO place on the piston at all, just wanted to see if that needed attention too

Secondly, I saw a thread about the ammunitionstore.com cheapie yugos.  I happened to have gotten one at a local gunshow, for 90, which I think is a great deal.  When I was cleaning the cosmoline off today, I noted a couple things.  First, the kit was missing the recoil assembly, and it took god damn 7 weeks to get it from ammunitionstore, but thats another story that has been covered to death in other threads (SLOW SHIPPERS!!!!).  2nd, there are electro pencil marks EVERYWHERE on the kit.   On the topcover, under the site, especilly the bolt assembaly, where it looks like some moron was just learning to use an electropencil and just doodled all over the gun.  Has anyone else had that experience?

Oh, last thing I promise.  My front trunion part of the kit is saw cut, while the rear is torch cut.  Same on everyone elses?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was wondering what the generally accepted order of demilling an AK is.  I'm doing my first build, and seen lots of FAQ's about how to put it back together, but not many about taking it apart first.  From what I can glean the order would be:

1) Clean Cosmoline off(duh)
2) Press out barrel pin/press out barrel
3) Grind off rivit tops
4) punch out Rivits
correct
and reassemble per the various FAQ's from here

Oh, and my gas piston seems loose in the bolt assembally, is this normal? yes I have a chinese AK where there is like NO place on the piston at all, just wanted to see if that needed attention toonot good, but if it ain't broke....

Secondly, I saw a thread about the ammunitionstore.com cheapie yugos.  I happened to have gotten one at a local gunshow, for 90, which I think is a great deal. it was When I was cleaning the cosmoline off today, I noted a couple things.  First, the kit was missing the recoil assembly, and it took god damn 7 weeks to get it from ammunitionstore, but thats another story that has been covered to death in other threads (SLOW SHIPPERS!!!!).  2nd, there are electro pencil marks EVERYWHERE on the kit.   On the topcover, under the site, especilly the bolt assembaly, where it looks like some moron was just learning to use an electropencil and just doodled all over the gun.  Has anyone else had that experience?yes

Oh, last thing I promise.  My front trunion part of the kit is saw cut, while the rear is torch cut.  Same on everyone elses?

on this batch. The first batch that came in last year had flame cuts front and rear.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, did anyone else get what appears to be an unfired barrel? I know how silly that sounds given the condition of these kits, but the rifling is damn strong on this kit.  Its easily as good as on some of the rommys ive seen
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top