Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/6/2002 6:14:43 PM EDT
Got the latch swiveled with a block of wood, and can get the back of the tube started swinging up, but it's so tight that that last little bit won't go.  Pry it out?  I'd hate to do that because I'll bet the top forward lip of the gas tube will get "rolled" up by the gas block.  I know I'm being a sissy here, but the finish on this gun is really nice (for an AK ) and I'd like to keep it that way.  Am I doing anything wrong or missing something here?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you move the latch too much or not enough it will get hung up on the bottom portion of the rear of the gas tube. Just fiddle with it moving the lever around until it comes out. It should be real easy.  I'm sure you don't need to be told, but sometimes the easiest answer is the best - you do have the bolt carrier removed right?

EDITED to add:

I just noticed how long you've been here, and that this most likely isn't a newbie question. Sorry about that. My best guess is to pry it up using enough sense to know when to stop before damaging something.  The way I see it is that the darn thing went in somehow, it'll come out too eventually.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Just pull the bolt out of the reciever and it will come right out I promise
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply, GF and Hotrod.  I tried slowly rotating the lever and I had the same thought as you - the sucker went IN - it has to come OUT!  It can't need but .003 and it would fall out on its own.  I'll try again after I get home.

I have done this on SKSs before - after getting the latch undone and rotating it to orient the flat with the arc of travel of the rear of the tube, it practically takes itself out.  But not on this one.  I don't even see one mark on the park finish of the flat where the tube slid past it.

I'm an AK newbie, so treat me like the village idiot.

Maybe the barrel shrunk!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
After reading your post I tried taking the gas tube of my AK without removing the bolt and assembly and it would not come off, after removing the bolt and assembly the gas tube literally fell out in my hand. BTW , the gas tube is not the same in the sks as the AK. Good luck...
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Some gas tube assembly's are VERY stiff to remove the first few times...  if you have removed the bolt carrier, and have the pivot tube keeper rotated correctly, and it is stiff, I just pry em up a little.  They pop.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I should have answered this clearly earlier - yes - the dust cover, bolt and carrier are on the floor!

I'll pry gently.

Thanks
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top