Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/12/2013 1:59:46 PM EDT
Can I put any gas tube on my 308 Saiga as long as it is same length ?  does it matter if new tube is " Vented"  the stock one is not

Any help would be appreciated ...... I added pics to show at least a little progress, still waiting for Dragonuv wood stock but gas tube is next with wood hand guard

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My Saiga 308 came with a standard AK front end and has an AK 74 tube. A Euro AKM tube can be modified to fit. Ive used them on other Saigas. I don't know about a Chinese tube or a Yugo tube. My Saiga 308 gas block is not vented like other 74 and 100 series. Nor is the tube vented. Ive read other threads on other boards which claim the S308 cycles fine with a vented tube though as designed its not vented.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Saiga 308 came with a standard AK front end and has an AK 74 tube. A Euro AKM tube can be modified to fit. Ive used them on other Saigas. I don't know about a Chinese tube or a Yugo tube. My Saiga 308 gas block is not vented like other 74 and 100 series. Nor is the tube vented. Ive read other threads on other boards which claim the S308 cycles fine with a vented tube though as designed its not vented.
View Quote

Thanks for the post, I had read that a 74 tube might work but your confirmation helps me with the process  I actually put a romanian tube on it for fitment but it would not lock in and I discovered that the bottem lug was a little different, it did seem like I could have made it fit with a dremel  but did not want to butcher the  romanian. The romanian tube was a 47 not 74 so that may be the reason.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]
74 tubes are hard to find. Carolina Shooter, Kvar, and Apex all have them from time to time but they don't last long. The Romainan tube can be modded to fit. The sight block end needs to be reshaped slightly. I just use the stock Saiga tube as a guide and dremmel until similar. Reshape the sight block end first before taking any material off the gas block end. The final fitting may require a very slight shortening at the gas block end of the tube. The AKM tube has no spring like a 74 tube, so you have to be careful in modifying it to fit b/c if it is too loose it will rattle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Dang it I just missed one on the EE but Im sure others will be listed. Thanks
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top