Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT
I own 2 Romanian SAR 1 AK's , both with only about 500 rnds through each.  Upon disassembly, it appears that the gas piston has loosened from the bolt carrier/ charging handle on both rifles.  Is this normal?  I recall an SKS that I had a few years back with the same issue.  
Thanks in advance--VT4Me

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes its normal...now go out and shoot it some more and quit yer worrying!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh, the gas piston for the SKS isn't supposed be attached to the bolt carrier.  It'd be pretty difficult to load with strippers if it were, no?

I've only put about 400 rounds through my SAR1 and I don't have a loose gas piston.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, some wiggle in the piston is normal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Normal yes, perfect, no.
This is a Century US compliance part and not the original installation which had a pin removed. Take your assembly out and see if the piston can be unscrewed. If it spins it needs help. I took mine out, cleaned it at the threads (both male/female) applied a bit of Locktight and reinstalled.
The pin design allows for the piston to wiggle a bit as the whole carrier assembly rocks with each shot. If the gas block up front is not in true line, the piston rubs a bit inside with each stroke. After many, many cases of ammo mine developed a wear ridge inside that would occasionally hang up the gas piston grooves. A quick touch of Dremel inside the gasblock removed the offending ridge and it is sweet again.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top