Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/5/2006 10:25:51 PM EDT
Can someone tell me the length of a Krink Gas Piston?
Also
Is there another length piston that's approx 2" shorter than a Romy "G" ?

I'm cutting a Bbl down on a "G" kit, and need to mod the gas piston, as well as tube. What I'd like to find out is if there is an "off the shelf" component I can sub for both, one, or the other, or do I have to do this the hard way?

IIRC, there's a member out there that was talking about cutting their own Gas pistons from SS round stock? Anyone know who that was?

C'Mon guys....I need options here!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Goto the AKfiles/ Gunco.  There is/was a guy named Hotbarrel that makes gas pistons.  He does all kinds of AK pistons and most likely has the pattern for what you need.  Very reasonably priced too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
When getting the stuff for a pistol build, I ordered a krink and carbine length piston from K-var. These are measured from the lip in front of the threads to the face of the gas piston:

Std G Romy 5 3/4"
Carbine        5 3/16"
Krink            2"

I opted to use the krink and haven't started on the gas tube yet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
OK- I've got an e-mail message into HotBarrel-

It looks like the Krink Gas piston is going to be way to short- reason is, you'd also have to machine the barrel for the retainer bracket belonging to the lower HG.

What I'm doing is removing the FSB, gas block, cutting the Bbl, and turning it down so that the gas block would be approx 2" further to the rear from where it currently is, the FSB will then go approx 1/4" in front of the gas block. With a US-made Krink style FH attached, the OAL is about 12".

(I keep saying "about" and "approx" because I don't have the Bbl Assy in front of me.)

It sounds like to make this work, I need someone to custom cut a 3 1/2" or 3 1/4" piston?

gunter542-
For the purposes of conversation, what do you do about lower HG's if you're using a Romy G kit, or cutting down any other type to be re-born as a Krink??

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
For a G the barrel would have to be turned, a slot cut on the side, and the slot in the top for the lock. The guard would have to shortened also, plus the gas tube and upper guard. The grip on the Romy lower guard must go unless you want to pay the AOW tax.

I just started my build yesterday. Plans are for a krink piston, cut down AMD gas tube, modified L1A1 gas block/front sight, and custom lower guard with maybe a steel M1 carbine type upper gaurd.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For a G the barrel would have to be turned, a slot cut on the side, and the slot in the top for the lock. Like I hinted earlier- too much damn trouble The guard would have to shortened also, plus the gas tube and upper guard. That I expected to do, it's just determining the proper length or obtain a gas piston that's close, is the problem The grip on the Romy lower guard must go unless you want to pay the AOW tax.Furniture isn't an issue, I have several spare "straight" lower HG's. Not that it matters, here in WA that's defined as an SBR, which is a NOGO

I just started my build yesterday. Plans are for a krink piston, cut down AMD gas tube, modified L1A1 gas block/front sight, and custom lower guard with maybe a steel M1 carbine type upper gaurd.  

Good luck to ya on your build! Post pics, before during and after!

Matt
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
bezerker77 does all of that stuff local to the west side.

I saw some of his work, and it is outstanding, DaBunny just had some work done by him today also, so get the measurements from him.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
bezerker77 does all of that stuff local to the west side.

I saw some of his work, and it is outstanding, DaBunny just had some work done by him today also, so get the measurements from him.

Wish I'dve known- I already gave my word on two pistons, and the Bbls are getting cut in the next few days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
piston threads are 12mm x 1.25 pitch

modify a metric bolt to look like a piston?

hire someone with a lathe?

talk to  hotbarrel
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
piston threads are 12mm x 1.25 pitch Yep

modify a metric bolt to look like a piston?

hire someone with a lathe?

talk to  hotbarrelDone

Thanks Bub!
BTW- hotbarrel is Da Man!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top