Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
I just replaced my two AMD gas pistons and when I bradded the
rivits it locked the new US pistons so they DON'T move.
Should I drill them out and replace or just leave them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:32:51 PM EDT
It shouldn't matter. I've even loc-tited some in with out trouble. I think Century even welded a few in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:43:21 AM EDT
after I get the old piston out , I screww the new piston in tight then back it out 1/2 turn. I drill the hole althe wy through the carrier and new piston. then I unscrew the piston and re-drill the hole in the piston one size larger. screw the piston back in, after you rivet the piston will be kind of tight but eventually have proper wobble. I figured this out after my first couple of builds, if the front trunnion isn't exactly straight with the receiver...the piston will bind a little in the gas tube. a little wobble in the piston takes care of that. maybe some can get the trunnion in perfectly 100% straight, but for those of us that can't...the wobble in the piston is your friend. just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
It should wobble, but as long as it's not binding, I wouldn't worry about it. I usually screw the piston in to a depth that approximates the overall length of the original piston as it was installed in the carrier, then drill the hole and install the rivet. AKs are very forgiving and designed with some slop, that's why they're so reliable!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:56:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlennAK:
It should wobble, but as long as it's not binding...

I`m playing with my 7.62x39 Saiga as I read this and want to add that piston is crimped solid by two dimples placed from opposite sides. That is factory izmash job on 100series. No wobble.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 7:04:42 PM EDT by GlennAK]
WJ1,

As long as it is fitted properly, having no wobble is fine. My Arsenal SA-93 and 5.56 Krink have no wobble and they work fine, because they were built with more care as is your Saiga. The majority of AKs wobble, because they were designed to be built in quantity like a lot of Eastern Bloc weapons systems. Having parts that did not have to be hand fitted saved the AK factories the trouble of having to individually fit each rifle for proper function. Afterall, they were building Kalashnikovs, not Mausers!hink
Glenn
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:42:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlennAK:

Come to think of it, The design simplicity and "Slop" in AKs, is the reason why so many of us CAN build these things from kits! Most of us, me included, would not be able to build a fine custom Mauser!

Glenn

Agreed. Forgiving build is added benefit to reliability acheived by deliberate loose tolerances.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:00:11 PM EDT
WJ1,

Yes, the loose tolerances that make it go bang everytime, is why we love AKs!Glenn
Top Top