Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:46:52 PM EDT
How many believe that the Galil is the finest Kalashnikov varient made?
I've seen some claims to that "fact". I do not endorse or dispute it, I just want to know what everybody thinks. Now along with the poll, would you count copies like the ORF in with the real Galil's? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the Galil is a AK derivate, no it's not king of the hill. Among the AK derivates that would be the SIG550 rifle, followed closely by either the Valmet M82/M92 or the Galil
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
SIG 550/551 is the king, followed by the Sako RK95, then the Galil.

And no, a clone is almost never in the same class as the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I swear I remember someone posting that Sig 550's were coming back to the US.  BS?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Seemed like the concept was a good one, but the end product in my opinion fell short of what it could have been. I'm not so sure "varient" is a good description of the Galil as far as its relation to the Kalashnikov family of weapons. It's my understanding that the Galil is a copy (at least its action is) and that while similarities can be seen in the 2, the Galil is not actually in the same family as the AK's.

The design did cover some things the AK design may have been lacking, and is an excellent assault weapon, but it is HEAVY. Alot heavier than a standard AK, therefore no matter if it has better sights longer sight radius etc. etc. to me a 10lb battle rifle is at a disadvantage to other modern assault weapons.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The design did cover some things the AK design may have been lacking, and is an excellent assault weapon, but it is HEAVY. Alot heavier than a standard AK, therefore no matter if it has better sights longer sight radius etc. etc. to me a 10lb battle rifle is at a disadvantage to other modern assault weapons.

A Galil AR is lighter than a milled AK-47. Now, an AKM is another story. It's also only a few ounces heavier than a FNC or HK33.

The ARM is heavier. I never understood why anyone would want an ARM.

It's only truly heavy when compared to the 5.5lb M16A1 carbine that the Israelis replaced it with.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Galil AR,it was nice,accurate and smooth,but I would rate the Valmet M62 higher.I prefer an AK in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it true that the Israeli Military has a bunch of unissued Galils in storage? I read somewhere that ever since the Israeli Army aquired a bunch of M16's and CAR15's the Galil rifles were basically put back in storage for resale and export. It seemed that the M16 has proven to be a superior weapon to the Galil.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The Israeli's have had great results with the M4/CAR 15 series,I know,several Central and South American Countries have purchased Galils from Israel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is it true that the Israeli Military has a bunch of unissued Galils in storage? I read somewhere that ever since the Israeli Army aquired a bunch of M16's and CAR15's the Galil rifles were basically put back in storage for resale and export. It seemed that the M16 has proven to be a superior weapon to the Galil.

Adaptability and economics.

The Galil is still the King of AKs to me, at least in the civilian world of whats commonly available.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
the Galil and ESPECIALLY he arm are so heavy that the South Africans developed one of the greatest bullpups in the world MAINLY out of complaints from soldiers carrying the R4 derivative.  Kokalis jokes/writes  about it alot.  Says what some have said here.  Probably the most accuracte iteration of the AK, but also the heaviest and not worth the weight.  (Though he says the SAR is one of the finest rifle caliber submachine guns out there....  I gotta tell ya, those micro galil post samples might be enough to make me go FFL !!!)

So (you should have guessed where I'm going by now) my vote is the vector cr21.  GAlil in reinforced composite clothes.  Literally the same pperating system and internals - and reportedly same accuracy dependability.

I don't know if the sig qualifies as a AK47, anyone else agree?  That's like saying the G36 is an AR18 derivative, but can you call teh G36 the best AR18?  I dunno
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice but way too heavy for a .223
Also the Daewoo Max 2, FNC, Valmet & Sig 550 series are excellent AK designs also & All will give the Galil a run for the money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I think there ugly as shit...They may work like a Swiss watch but their an ugly rifle..IMO
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Galil's and Valmets are definately at the top of the food chain. At least your average joe might actually have a chance to own one. I hear great things about the 550/551, but lets be honest very few people have actually compared, let alone shot one, next to a Galil or Valmet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've owned two Galil AR's in .308 and one in 5.56mm and yes, they're top o' the heap of Kalashnikov's.

The SIG 550 series is inspired by the AK, but I don't think it's fair to call it one.

In any case, yes, the Galil rocks.

And yes, SIG is supposed to have some US made 55X series rifles with polymer lowers ready for SHOT 06.

That's exactly how I feel. When It comes to the SIG

A 5.56 Galil is just what the doctor ordered.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I sure wouldn't mind owning one!  

The Galil is a hybrid designed to give its' user the reliability of an AK-47 with the accuracy of an M16.  It succeeded on both counts.  The Galil is a rifle that you can bet your life on with much more confindence than an M16 or AR15 and will give you accuracey that you will not be able to get from a regular pattern AK-47.

They are also loaded with lots of "bells and whistles" that even included a bottle opener!

The biggest drawback to the Galil, as several people have mentioned, is weight.  You can decide for yourself if this really matters to you.  

My brother, who is in the 101st Airborne, busts down doors at 2AM in Bagdad for a living.  The M4 with Aimpoint he carries is probably the right thing for him, but for a civvie thinking home defense I think the Galil is better.

My brother's name is William Bair.  He is doing his second tour in Iraq.  I'm really proud of my little brother but I've gotta confess I worry about him.  Prayers from my AR15.Com friends are very welcome!        
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I thank him for sacrificing and fighting so that my family and I may sleep safe at night.  God Bless.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember when the Swiss were looking for a new assault rifle I think in the early 90's, some body out there would know,anyway they had modified some Galils to their specs and submitted them for testing.The Galils did so well they were almost adopted.The only other rifle that came close were the  Sig 550 series and as we know they were adopted.The Galils were really neat looking they had wrap around front hand guards,folding stocks and shorter barrels.I really wanted one and still do.Does any one remember this? If you do and have any Pics please post . Oh yea, Galils are tops I own two.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I pick the Sig 550/551/552. The first two models are related to the AK, the third shamelessly uses an AK gas system.

The Galil is heavy and awkward. There is a reason the Israelis use the M4!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top