Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/31/2020 9:08:07 AM EDT
***Apologies if this type of post is not allowed, please let me know if it isn't?***

A friend posted this in the Galil subforum on valmet.org, I thought it was worth posting here also since there's a lot more traffic.

I have an 80s AR/M which is an ARM with no bipod but is equipped with the mounting lug. I recently acquired the bipod, pin and e-clip and an IMI handguard with the cut for the legs. What has been out of stock everywhere is the rear handguard retainer with the hooks. The only ones I've seen are part of an entire parts kit.
I have a person with a CAD/CAM setup. He took measurements and created a CAD part with hooks, and made a prototype on a 3-D printer. I have tested it on my rifle and it fits perfectly. He also has the ability to Cerakote. He can make the parts from steel and do them in Cerakote Graphite Black which matches the original non bipod retainer very closely.
Is there any interest in purchase of this part?
Cost each for 1-5 units is $125 plus shipping
Cost each for 5-10 units is $112 plus shipping
Cost each for 10+ units is $100 with USPS flat rate shipping included.
Let me know if there is any interest.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I am looking for this but also with with the ability to attach the carry handle.... any possibility of looking at this as an option?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it right and add the carry handle, I bought an aftermarket carry handle handguard retainer from the AK files. I have a handguard retainer that has the bipod hook if anyone is interested. Its just sitting in my safe...
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy I designed the part for did not want the carry handle option. I think he has a lead on a part since I posted this here, but, if there's interest (and if it is allowed) I can figure out adding the carry handle portion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy I designed the part for did not want the carry handle option. I think he has a lead on a part since I posted this here, but, if there's interest (and if it is allowed) I can figure out adding the carry handle portion.
View Quote

I don't think there is anything wrong with cross-posting, but the with-CH retainers are the hot ticket item (as you pointed out, most people have their own non-CH retainer already from their kit).

I realize it is a big "IF", but if your buddy's friend with the tools/software could make copies of the handle AND retainer, he might really have something.

The handle is just a really heavy gauge wire I think, but might actually be the hardest part to re-produce without also requiring a jig/fixture. I could easily imagine the plastic part is 3D-printable.

Is he just using a regular CNC milling machine to make his retainer copy? At that price point, I think only the "with CH-loop" style retainers would attract enough interest to be worth his time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with cross-posting, but the with-CH retainers are the hot ticket item (as you pointed out, most people have their own non-CH retainer already from their kit).

I realize it is a big "IF", but if your buddy's friend with the tools/software could make copies of the handle AND retainer, he might really have something.

The handle is just a really heavy gauge wire I think, but might actually be the hardest part to re-produce without also requiring a jig/fixture. I could easily imagine the plastic part is 3D-printable.

Is he just using a regular CNC milling machine to make his retainer copy? At that price point, I think only the "with CH-loop" style retainers would attract enough interest to be worth his time.
View Quote

I am "the buddy's friend" with cad software and a cnc bridgeport in my garage hehe
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am "the buddy's friend" with cad software and a cnc bridgeport in my garage hehe
View Quote

Just curious as to the reason you didn't want to go with a carry handle? I know most people (myself included) find the carry handle to be most desirable. You can hardly find factory carry handles so the two guys that I know on the boards that sell them can't make them fast enough,  I was able to buy one for my build. I was just curious....
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just curious as to the reason you didn't want to go with a carry handle? I know most people (myself included) find the carry handle to be most desirable. You can hardly find factory carry handles so the two guys that I know on the boards that sell them can't make them fast enough,  I was able to buy one for my build. I was just curious....
View Quote

ICS makes one and it is an exact copy, I put one on my Galeo and it fit perfect, all steel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Who is ICS?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who is ICS?
View Quote

They make a $500 airsoft Galil, they use the same specs as IMI to make some parts of the rifle. After I bought my Galeo I saw someone on Gunbroker selling "unknown maker"
carry handle/ferrule units for $200. I found out through different forums they were ICS. They are solid steel made just as well as the originals but new condition.
Mine cost $80 because they only shop that had them was in the Netherlands and I got killed with shipping.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My friend, who asked me to design and make the part, did not want the carry handle option. His personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny, I'm looking for the 5.56 AR rear handguard retainer without the bipod hooks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Funny, I'm looking for the 5.56 AR rear handguard retainer without the bipod hooks.
View Quote

Wouldn't that just be a SAR handguard retainer?
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My friend, who asked me to design and make the part, did not want the carry handle option. His personal preference.
View Quote

You will find opinions all over the map.

I only think the CH makes sense for the ARM as it was a support weapon. I can easily see how they might have had trouble with reservists carrying the damn thing around like a suitcase, or with it getting snagged and broken so often that armorers were having a snit fit.

Or maybe it's just a military thing--ask how many US SMs were ever encouraged to use the convenient "carry handle" on an M16...very few I'd bet.

At the of the day, it just wasn't worth it to me to add back something that was probably originally made for $2 in time and materials, to re-create a look that was abandoned from use, and adds weight to a pig of a rifle.

However, just because I don't prefer it doesn't mean it's not extremely popular.

OP, have you tested your machining time on your mill? If you modeled the main variants you might sell a few. But you are competing with surplus parts (and indifference).
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only have experience with the galil AR, I don't know if the SAR retainer works.  I was under the impression that even the 7.62 ARM retainers without hooks don't have the same dimensions as the 5.56 AR ones.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, have you tested your machining time on your mill? If you modeled the main variants you might sell a few. But you are competing with surplus parts (and indifference).
View Quote

I have not. He found an oem part before I got that far. I make my living doing custom work, so I've simply moved on to the next job on the list.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I only have experience with the galil AR, I don't know if the SAR retainer works.  I was under the impression that even the 7.62 ARM retainers without hooks don't have the same dimensions as the 5.56 AR ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty sure SAR and AR Handguard Ferrule or Rear Handguard mount are the same, both Apex and Numrich show them as the same.

Its amazing how many of these Galil parts have dried up as companies began offering complete rifles for sale....
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
How about South African R5/R6 retainers?  They are a little different than AR/SAR Retainers.

As an FYI, a member on another board makman90 makes ARM retainers with the carry handle attachment.  He does top notchwork! I'm not sure if he currently has any.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top