Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2008 5:38:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/13/2008 6:42:08 PM EST by kstarr]
what is the best way to get my kit cleaned up? It's kind of rusty and filthy all over.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:37:36 PM EST
If it's covered in cosmoline, I'd soak it in mineral spirits and take a brush to the parts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:51:07 AM EST
degrease the kit, you can use annything from mineral spirits to gasoline(be careful if you use gas), or even brake cleaner. i would let the parts soak in a sollution if possible as it will penetrate the crevices and get most all the oils/grease out.
then take it to get sand blasted and parkerized. then finish it off with duracoat, molly resin or powder coat.
thats what i do
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:34:30 PM EST
Brake cleaner, and rags.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:34:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By DonKeyballs1:
Brake cleaner, and rags.

This. And a wire brush wheel on a bench grinder will do wonders, too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:50:17 AM EST
Brake cleaner works, but ACETONE is better.

Demill your kit first.

Buy a cheap large aluminium pan (for cooking turkeys or such) then get some acetone (HD, Lowes, etc.). Pour enough acetone in the pan to cover your parts and soak your them for minimum of 24 hours. The longer the better and it won't hurt them. The grease and crude just melt away for the most part. It doesn't hurt to have a small wire brush to get into the nooks and crannies. I also recommend doing this in a vented area.

The rust won't come off with this method. You will have to bead/sand blast the parts, but will need to get a new finish (phosphate or dura-coat) anyway. Boeshield Rust Free (rust/stain remover) works great for light rust removal as well.

Use a can of brake cleaner to clean your parts prior to refinishing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:54:23 PM EST
Brake, carb, other cleaner works wonders. Also a soft brush and soothing music helps. Just be sure to get all the rust off or it may come back to haunt you.
Top Top