Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/18/2005 10:53:22 PM EDT
The specimen is SAR1. On my first shooting after installing a G2 FCG, I got 2 double rounds going off (out of 140). I suspect this has something to do withthe hammer sticking out and staying in the path of the bolt (if I rack the charging handle slowly, it will hang up on the hammer and keep the bolt open). My guess is that as the bolt recoils back and hits the hammer something bad happens.

Questions I have are:
1. Did this occassional slamfire happen before to anyone with G2?
2. Should I just dremel/file the portion of the hammer that sticks out, or contact Tapco, or apply some other remedy?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:52:26 PM EDT

(if I rack the charging handle slowly, it will hang up on the hammer and keep the bolt open)

Thats normal when you pull it back let it slam forward. As for the rest I dont know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:30:06 AM EDT
Since your double happens so infrequently it may involve the position of your finger when firing ie. you may be inadvertantly bump firing it. It is normal for the bolt to encounter the resistsnce as it resets the hammer.

Function test your FCG (after making sure the Shepard's Crook wire retainer is fully seated in , the groove in the axis pins. Dry fire (double check to make sure you are unloaded -- you and your rifle). Someone can give you better steps than I can right now (4am, you know), but essentially you want to make sure your hammer doesn't fall except when you want it to. Rack the action, pull trigger, hammer falls. Keeping trigger pulled to rear, rack again and let go, hammer stays cocked. Release trigger, hammer should not drop, but be in the firing position. Do all this with the top cover off so you can get an idea of how the FCG works. It is possible you need to remove metal from under the disconnector to allow it to rotate further forward (the hammer will be held down longer before being caught by the trigger for the next shot.) If this is necc. don't take off too much or the disconnector won't let go. If your really careful you can get a pretty decent two stage pull (if you like such things).

Ooops. almost forgot -- with your hammer cocked pull slowly and see how much travel the trigger has before releasing the hammer. If it isn't much you probably just almost discovered bump firing. Do a search for bump firing and you'll know what I mean.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:30:19 PM EDT
The trigger doesn't travel much at all, so bumpfire effect may be easier to induce, although it didn't seem like that at the time. I definitely didn't bump off of trigger guard (as described on Lynx's Romak page), but I might've bumped the palm of my hand off of the grip. I checked the FCG action when I installed it, but perhaps I should do that again, and see if something changed.
Top Top