Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 4:14:02 PM EDT
I stopped by my FFL on Friday to pick up my SLR-104FR (pictures of that coming soon).  As they were processing my paperwork, I saw an East German mag pouch with four mags in it behind the counter.  I asked to look at it and was surprised to see these were brand new/unissued EG bakelite mags with a brand new pouch and even a cleaning kit in the side pocket.  Awesome find, except for the $139.99 price tag.

I asked the guy if he’d take $80 and he quickly said “No”.  $90?  “Sorry, can’t do that either.”  It just so happened I had exactly $100 cash in my wallet after paying $20 for the SLR transfer.  I showed him my open wallet and said “I’ve literally only got $100.  That’s the highest I can go.”  After looking at his computer he says, “That’s below what I’m supposed to accept.  But OK.”  So, pretty good find for nice mags.

I just feel bad for the poor guy who pawned these.  I’m guessing he probably got no more than $70 for his four pristine bakelites.  Then again, he probably bought these 10+ years ago in the long-lost $5 bakelite mag era.  He’d probably think I was a fool for paying $100.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:23:12 PM EDT
Wow, nice score!!!!

R
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
Nice find, im willing to bet he got only $40 when he pawned them.

Pawn shops like to mark stuff up 3 times what they paid for things.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:47:51 PM EDT
I think I still have one of those sealed in plastic. If I sold it for $100, that would be like a 400% profit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
Good deal.  Couple years ago I bought 13 of them, (new never used, still had Made in Germany stickers) for $5 each.  They were listed on a local on-line gun classifieds and the seller only lived about 1 block away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
Pics of 104FR
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT by Kisara]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Pics of 104FR
View Quote

Yes, we want pics!

I bought my East Germans for $9ea at a gun show in CA (Pomona/L.A. County) in the late 90's.  I almost spray-painted them black because back then, having something orange on your gun was insane.  Glad now that I never did!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:02:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kisara:

Yes, we want pics!

I bought my East Germans for $9ea at a gun show in CA (Pomona/L.A. County) in the late 90's.  I almost spray-painted them black because back then, having something orange on your gun was insane.  Glad now that I never did!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kisara:
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Pics of 104FR

Yes, we want pics!

Pics coming after I change out the handguards.  Hopefully next weekend.

I bought a few "black bakelites" a couple years ago for what must have been under $10, and didn't even realize what they were until shooting one day.  I vaguely remember the guy advertising them as Polish mags. I'm guessing that must have been a common thing to do back in the day, crazy as it now seems.
Top Top