Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:52:10 AM EDT
Was messing with the FCG on my build in progress, and noticed that the pin retainer looks nothing like the others I see in the how to guides?  Anybody know how they are installed?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the little wire thing thats called a shepards hook?  GO here http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm.    If thats NOT it then you gonna have to post pics or give a better description.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, just get a Red Star retainer plate. 3 seconds and you're done. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks nothing like the "Sheperd's Hook" I've seen in pictures.  It is coiled like a spring at one end.  I will have a pic up later.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the hammer and trigger pin retainer. The coil on the end powers the auto sear. Get a retainer from RSA or Blackjack Buffers.  Or use 7/32 e-clips from the hardware store.  I used one of the RSA retainers when I modified my Maadi.  On my Romanian build I used the shepards hook from the Maadi as my retainer hadn't arrived from Blackjack and I wanted to shoot the rifle the next day.  Actually the shepards hook installed rather easily, so I am going to leave it in. I will use the other retainer in my next build.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a Saigia conversion if its a coiled spring long on one end and coiled on the other.  I agree buy the retaining plate from Red Star or I think K-var has em too.  Good Luck post pics when youre done building.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought two of the RSA retainers and the first one snapped as soon as I put it on.  The second one is still in the package - the shepards hook is not that hard to do and a lot more reliable.

Don't waste your money on these.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Here it is, How does it go in?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Clip off the coiled part since you don't have an auto sear to go through it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You can't use it in it's current configuration since you don't have the third axis pin. Or boy, I hope you dont have that third axis pin
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
After picture:
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top