Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:00 PM EST
My front sight post is pushed way over to the left side. Is this normal? What causes this? Fixes?

It is on an Egyptian Maadi that seems to group well.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/gmtyree/100_0919.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:54:40 PM EST
If you really wanted to you could straighten the sight block, so that when centered the pin would be in the same position it is now. IMO that's too much work. This happens because sometimes the front sight isn't on the barrel perfectly square.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:56:04 PM EST
I like it better when they're centered, but technically there is no problem if that's what it takes to get it on line. We're not talking about 'groups' which are irrelevant to this - simply does it shoot to the center at 100 yards? They wouldn't have made that range of adjustment if it weren't needed. The sight base may be a little canted to the right in your case (looking at it from the firing position). My AMD-65 is like that too, but to the other side, so my sight base is canted left. My Colt 6721 AR-15 sighted in with the rear sight off-center which irritates me, but I don't feel like fixing it or sending it back to Colt. I plan to use an optic on it anyway with a back-up sight, so that carry handle sight really doesn't matter.

If the sight was adjusted that way to get it on the target, and you're satisfied with that windage adjustment, the drum should be staked with a vertical chisel mark right in line with the chisel mark in the sight base. This gives you a reference in case you need to make future adjustments.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:31:22 PM EST
If it shoots well, leave it alone.

Most AK's will have a cant to some degree on the front site. Even those without cant will need some windage adjustment sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:03 AM EST
Just following up and looking at your picture again, I see some light rust in the sliding drum. Put a drop or two of penetrant on it in case you ever want to adjust it. There is a front sight adjustment tool that you should have - like a 'C'-clamp or a bicycle chain-breaker, it can push the drum to one side or the other to adjust windage. Usually the screw handle has a slot on the end for adjusting the sight post elevation.
Top Top