Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:15:52 AM EDT
Finally getting around to building my jig, but have one remaining question... obviously the female part of the jig needs to be at least 1.25" + flat thickness*2, but I'm assuming it needs to be slightly oversize in order to get the bent flat out, plus compensate for any variantion in flat thickness... So, what are you guys using?   How much clearance is too much?

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
On the jig I built it has .010 clearance. The tapco flats I measured were all the same thickness so I didn't worry about variations in thickness.
Once it is pressd into the die I need to tap it back out with a hammer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Finally getting around to building my jig, but have one remaining question... obviously the female part of the jig needs to be at least 1.25" + flat thickness*2, but I'm assuming it needs to be slightly oversize in order to get the bent flat out, plus compensate for any variantion in flat thickness... So, what are you guys using?   How much clearance is too much?

Thanks,
Rocko

Rocko...  are you working on these as well?  Can we get together as I have way overspent on my various tools already and I have been reading the various posts and info on building AKs and the list of things I need to buy or build is greater than I can do!

I am planning to get one of my FALs done this weekend (still need receivers for the kits I got from you)as well as a screw-built AMD-65 AK pistol and perhaps my second AMD-65 as a screw built.  I also need to try to finish the 80% AR-15 lowers as I really wanted my home built ARs (I am working on 3)done for a 10-year after the ban memorial!

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top