Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:40:09 AM EDT
I did try the search engine but couldn't find what I need.  I have a '93 MAK that had the threads removed and would like to put on a flash hider or even an 74 style brake.  Someone here did suggest cutting 1/2x28 threads, but does someone make a nice 7.62 caliber hider/brake with this thread pitch?  Are there any thread adaptors out there? Is it wise to bore out an AR15 flash hider?  I'm not concerned about authenticity since I've already welded on G3 sights and I'm currently building a receiver block adaptor so I can attach an Ace folder(it's a milled MAK90).  So far so good, but it really needs a muzzle attachment.

Thanks for any help!
Rich
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Global trades has a large variety of different US types of Muzzle devices. I know that they list the Slant brake, designed for the 7.62 in the 1/2x28, and I think they may have others available. Head over to their site, and if you don't see it, I might try calling/emailing and see if they may have the one you want in that threading.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks dar48,

I have checked out Global's site, and they do have several interesting brakes/hiders, but some of their flash hiders don't specify caliber.  I would call, but once the week starts, I may not have time during the work day and was hoping someone here could help.  The slant brake would work, but it's not my first choice(just personal preference).  I wouldn't mind going with the thread adaptor if one actually exists for 1/2x28 to 14mm LH.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
i've seen some maks here w/a pinned on 74 brake.  how much did it cost to weld the G3 sights on?  got any pics?

Quoted:
I did try the search engine but couldn't find what I need.  I have a '93 MAK that had the threads removed and would like to put on a flash hider or even an 74 style brake.  Someone here did suggest cutting 1/2x28 threads, but does someone make a nice 7.62 caliber hider/brake with this thread pitch?  Are there any thread adaptors out there? Is it wise to bore out an AR15 flash hider?  I'm not concerned about authenticity since I've already welded on G3 sights and I'm currently building a receiver block adaptor so I can attach an Ace folder(it's a milled MAK90).  So far so good, but it really needs a muzzle attachment.

Thanks for any help!
Rich

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I'm a dipstick!  I can get my barrel threaded 14x1--I wasn't reading my caliper properly.  Duh!

Anyway, I'm dumb, but much happier now(isn't that the way it's supposed to be?), so please disregard my above questions.

ttman,

I did the welding on the G3 sights myself.  My first love is the G3/HK91, and I've built a few clones.  My first was clone was built on a Hesse receiver, and it was a piece of garbage(cracks/poor fit/typical Hesse quality).  I ended up chopping it up and doing practice welding on it.  I bought a NIB milled MAK90($400 on AuctionArms--not bad) as a shooter, but I hate the sights and the stock was disintegrating after 100 rounds.  Had the idea for the G3 sights when I saw a Krebs custom with the picatinny rail on the dust cover.  Krebs doesn't sell this as a separate item, and Galil sights seemed out of the question, I had a (brief/rare) flash of brilliance and I was able to remove the rear sight base off the Hesse G3 and got it to fit on my dust cover with Dremel, file, and a little love from my 20 ton press.  I tig welded it with my cheap POS Italian Kellmar welder(lift arc on it somehow makes the power drop after a couple seconds when the tungsten gets close to the work surface.  Nobody seems to know how to fix it).  The weld is pretty good considering the welder's drawbacks.  Also had an extra triple frame sight tower.  I cut off most of the lower ring and Dremeled(is this a real word?) it until it fit on the gas block, and finally attached to the block via a single plug weld in the hole where the G3 cocking tube plug's plunger usually sits.  This weld looks sort of crummy, but it works.  I haven't decided what to do with the MAK's original rear sight yet.  Probably just cut the end off, turn it upside down, and put it back on the gun to cover the hole in the block.  

It should all look good after it's painted.  Also, I have spent the last two weeks trying to build a receiver block for an Ace stock.  This has been really tough, but it's about 80 percent done and should work.  I'll need to buy the Ace stock and folding mechanism before I can finish.  I'll definitely post pictures when it's all done.  It's going to be a pseudo-Galil looking rifle.  I sure do enjoy the dark side!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top