Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 9:04:03 PM EDT
Ok, I've got the old cut up pieces off and now am drilling out the rivets. I used several sizes of bits and to get all the rivet out I had to go to a 3/16!! Yes that's too big for a 10/32 screw. I already bought the screw kits in 10/32 size and these holes are too big now. So the obvious answer is to go to a bigger screw. Question, is a 12 too big and will it effect the strength especially in the rear trunion it looks pretty thin around the outside of the holes? Also on the next build can I use the 21 drill and leave part of the rivet in the hole around the edges? It sure appears to me that these holes are bigger than what I've been reading about on here.

I've been reading this forum for a while and got my nerve up to do a build, but this is my first post to ask anything about it. Any ideas or guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:19:11 AM EDT
Did you drill 3/16 all the way through the trunnion? If not try longer 10-32 screws. If so you'll have to use larger screws. Next time try drilling a 1/8 th hole all the way through the rivet and then drive it out with a punch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:34:12 AM EDT
To remove the long rivets, I hand drill rear trunnion rivets with 5/32 bit, new bit per trunnion.

Only as a pilot hole, I use 1/8" or slightly larger to drill 1/8" deep pilot holes for the 5/32
Never use anything smaller than 1/8 because of breakage. This helps keep me in line and I drill the rear with a hand drill, not a drill press.

I found that on a Romy kit the rear trunnion holes are bigger than the front trunnion holes. I tapped the rear with a 10-32 but I am not satisfied with the thread depth although the screws tighten very well using 1/2 inch screws. 10-32 is perfect for the front. I am not sure what is the next size bigger than 10-32 is, but I am sure it will be a metric or a numbered size. Keep in mind it will have a bigger head also. I may have to chuck the bigger screws up in a drill press and remove some of the head diameter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:19:27 PM EDT
speaking from experiance, the rear tang on the rommies is extreamly hard, I tried to tap one with a 1/4 x 20 tap, and even using plenty of cutting oil, the tap froze and I broke it trying to back it out, I was turning a half turn in then backing it out, I ended up welding that tang in, the next one I did, I riveted it in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:44:53 AM EDT
Ok, I can handle the rear trunion part. Where can I find the larger grade 8 screws. I looked locally and nothing. But I did determine (just form looks not measuring) that a number 12 is the next size. It appeared the the metric 4,5, and 6mm were not what I needed. 4 and 5 too small and 6 too large. Any help finding the larger grade 8 screws for the front trunion would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:03:52 PM EDT

On the 5 kits I've done so far (3 amds and 2 romys) I drilled out the rivits in the rear with a 3/16. In the front, I ground down the rivets as low as possible, then tapped them out. I went straight to a M5x0.8 tap in the front and back trunion holes. It was tight, but I took my time. I used 5mm button head screws that I had to shorten in the front.

Very simple and straight forward. I am confused by the problems that everyone is having choosing screw sizes. This size works great. You will have to open the holes on the receiver to allow the screws to go in. I even used these same screws to hold in the center support, but I had to modify the one under the selector so the selector would not hit.

J
Top Top