Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 6:55:45 PM EDT
I bought a Rommie Kit from Clearview Investments..

At the moment I have exactly 108.49 shipped into it..

I want to do a screw build because the tools I have are best suited to that kind of build... this being my first build I need an easy one with a minimum of tool investments.

Where are the best places to get compliance parts?

I want this to look like a Romanian AKM.. Blued finish... dark red wood... standard pistol grip and front foregrip.

The 16 countable parts in a AK with a muzzle device. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston   (Should I spend the change on an RSA improved Gas piston or find one for cheaper?)
(8) Trigger }
(9) Hammer }   RSA Trigger group
(10) Disconnecter }
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip   (????? original looking or good dark red US pistol grip?)
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

I've decided I want an RSA trigger. It just sounds like it'll be fun out of the box and worth the money spent.

So I'm looking for a good pistol grip with dark red wood or a good light colored one to refinish to match the original stocks.

Whats the general opinion on the RSA Gas piston? Is the improved design "improved?" or just more metal and some more grooves? If I'm already getting the trigger I wont save much over anywhere else after you factor in shipping.

Any opinons on the RSA retainer plate? Or should I learn to struggle with the shepheards hook?

thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The RSA gas piston doesn't look like anything special to me. I'd grab a U.S. made piston off of tapco.com for a better price. But the RSA fire control group is a different story- everybody seems to think they are the bee's knees. I have one (not installed yet) and must say it looks a lot nicer than the OEM US fire control group parts in my SAR rifles.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Global Trades has a US slant brake that looks just like the one on the rommie...

I think instead of messing with the Gas piston I'll get one of those when I get my reciever and save a few bucks and some trouble...

Do Gas pistons break or lose effectiveness requiring replacement?

Is there any advantage to a US gas piston?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do Gas pistons break or lose effectiveness requiring replacement?

Is there any advantage to a US gas piston?

I've never seen a broken gas piston. Residue does collect rather fast on the face of the piston head and it is one of the things you'll want to clean off after every shooting session. Most people use U.S. pistons because it counts as one of the required U.S. parts and they almost always work just as well as the original.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I just need a really nice looking US made Wood pistol grip.... preferably dark reddish wood or a light color I can stain.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Now I just need a really nice looking US made Wood pistol grip.... preferably dark reddish wood or a light color I can stain.

Ironwood Designs makes wooden AK stock sets. I think you can order individual parts instead of paying for a whole set.

Ironwood Designs

And if you know someone with a drill press you might get them to drill a hole in a block of wood and try to whittle your own. It is the least complex component of the stock set, though there are a few subtle curves here and there that you'll need to duplicate to make it ergonomic.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I Have access to a Drill press... but minimal wood working skills....

Maybe I can do some picture searching and find a good model picture and try to copy it...

I need one more US part though... Need 6

FCG (3)
Muzzle Device (1)
Reciever (1)

Would a Pistol Grip I carved right here in the good ol US of A be considered a "US part"

Or do I have to apply for it to be considered as such?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Or do I have to apply for it to be considered as such?

Nope! If you make it in the U.S. then it is automatically a U.S. part. If you're particularly paranoid you can even stamp "US" on it. You'll need minimal woodworking skills to make a pistol grip. Apart from the drill, a razor sharp knife and some sandpaper should do the trick. Remember to sand with the grain of the wood and not across it. I learned this in highschool woodworking class and it has served me well. Use your Romanian pistol grip as a model. Remember that it was once a rectangle. Look at the areas of the rectangle that were removed and try to duplicate these cuts. You'll probably do a lot more sanding than whittling.

Galland
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top