Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:36:22 PM EDT
I finally completed a one.

Special thanks in particular,  to socandyman and hcpookie  for inspiring me.

DPHarms matching Romainian kit
Global receiver
G2 fcg
rivots from the EE
Falcon floorplates/tapco followers

Notes:

I used a HF 12 ton press, HF $40 drill press, HF drill bits, and self-altered HF bolt cutter using Socandyman's great pics.

I had one hell of a time getting the barrel pin out.  I ended up using a 5/16" nut driver bit upside down and covered with a 24mm socket slid over the press rod to capture it.   I didn't want that thing flying out...  After it made the tell tale pop, I thought I had it, but I was wrong.  It made the earth shattering "pop" at least 10 times before coming out.  The barrel was also a pain.  Much to my relief, they went in very easily with some copper anti-sieze.

I made some rivot recesses in some 1/4" steel scrap to support the rivots heads and used the "tape trick" to locate the trunnion holes.  It worked pretty good, but I made small holes to check the alinment before drilling the full size ones.  I was off a little, so I used a round needle file to get them right.   I also made the mistake of trying to use the press to form the rear rivot heads.  I found it works much easier to use a BFH.

The only real problems I had was making the countersinks for the rivot heads.  Those Globals sure are hard.  I ended up using a conical punch and a BFH to get to the point where the heads would sit flush.

I had to clean up a couple burrs, but only had to file on the ejector until the bolt could pass.

I had to sand the stock some to get it back in.  It does have a 1mm gap, but I think the orginal receiver was longer.   The global was the exact length required and the trunnions ended up flush on both ends.

The finish left on  the global from heat treating exactly matched the kit's finish.  I just applied a dab of cold blue to the rivot heads.

All in all, the only thing I wish I had was a trigger guard jig, and next time I will remember to cut down the rear tg rivot to make the inside prettier...

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a working gun like an AK should.  Well done!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool arashi! Thanks for the tips
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
look great

ill be doing a howto on on the rear block (holes and rivets) in next couple of days
ive been asked many times and i promised it last week but just havnt made it there yet
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top