Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/12/2004 4:27:41 PM EST
I am considering my first AK build and have a few questions. I want this rifle to look exactly like a factory build, so no screws and I will take my time.

I am planning on getting one of the K-Var 7.62 Krinkov kits and building an SBR. Are these kits nice? I already have a 7.62 Arsenal USA SSR-85-C, so I want to keep a caliber commonality. Is a 7.62 Krink a blasphemy? The kit lacks a front trunion. Is that a big deal?

I am planning to use a Global Trades/Arsenal USA receiver. Would this receiver match up to the kit without any work? I would order the 5a receiver with a front trunion and trigger-guard, which the kit lacks.

How much work would it take to have the quality of a factory build?

My current cost estimate is:

Global type 5a receiver: $175.00
Receiver transfer fee: $20.00
Krinkov Kit: $400.00
Kit shipping: Probably $20.00
SBR Tax: $200.00

Total: $815.00 or thereabouts, plus I get the 1.6mm receiver.

Cost to buy a Ohio Ordnance Works Krink:

Krink: $1,000.00 (soon to be $1,150.00)
Transfer fee: $20.00

Total: anywhere from $1,220.00 to $1,370. Not sure about receiver quality.

That's a huge savings, but can I do it as well as they can?

Is it worth it to get all the parts and have a place build it, like Intratec or something?

I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:07:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:47:22 PM EST
I was looking to build the one on the far right, which is a sidefolder.

It appears to have rivets and the rear trunion looks like it rivets in.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:29:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/13/2004 6:33:21 PM EST by 19-kilo]
"I am planning to use a Global Trades/Arsenal USA receiver. Would this receiver match up to the kit without any work? I would order the 5a receiver with a front trunion and trigger-guard, which the kit lacks.

My current cost estimate is:

Global type 5a receiver: $175.00
Receiver transfer fee: $20.00
Krinkov Kit: $400.00
Kit shipping: Probably $20.00
Total: $815.00 or thereabouts, plus I get the 1.6mm receiver.

Cost to buy a Ohio Ordnance Works Krink:
Krink: $1,000.00 (soon to be $1,150.00)
Transfer fee: $20.00
Total: anywhere from $1,220.00 to $1,370. Not sure about receiver quality.
quote]"

A couple of points that don't seem to add up. First IIRC the side folders are build on stamped receivers, no? Then your cost of an Arsenal 1.6mm stamped receiver is more like $69.00 ask me why I know!!!
Also, it is my understanding that YOU do not have to pay $200 to transfer a SBR, that is a tax that is only applied to the builder of the rifle. You have to pay the $5 transfer fee and that is it IF you are buying from a Registered Mfg. who has already paid his tax for the year. If you build it then you pay the BATF.
You seem to have forgotten to throw in the cost of the US made parts in your build est. You best have those especially with a SBR!
Finally, if you can do a sand blast then park followed by a moly coat or some other "finish" then you could have the same finish as the commercial rifle. If you can't do that yours will not be equal to the "store-bought" one.
Cheers.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:28:24 AM EST
I'm basically doing the same thing but with the stamped receiver. My suggestion would be to practice on a $89 amd kit or similar instead of screwing up your $400 krink kit right off the bat. Theres no way around the $200 tax. Its NFA rules. You either pay the $200 for building it or pay the $200 for having it transferred. Certified builders(sot) are tax exempt. And shouldn't that barrel on the milled kit be threaded? Never done a milled receiver but I like the looks of them. The guy that sells them is only about 80 miles from me but yes they are very pricey.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:08:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 5:12:27 PM EST by Pinned-Recessed]

Originally Posted By 19-kilo:

You seem to have forgotten to throw in the cost of the US made parts in your build est. You best have those especially with a SBR!

Nope. I saw the ATF ruling on this. Basically, you cannot import a "non-sporting" rifle with more than 10 foreign parts. If you put in American parts, you can make it "non-sporting", ie; pistol grips and such.

However, the ATF ruled that since NFA weapons are, by their very nature, "Non-sporting", the while "sporting purposes" bit is null and you can have as many foreign parts in your rifle as you want.

And the $200 to manufacture and $5 to transfer only applies to AOWs, SBRs are still $200 no matter what: transfer or maufacture.

ATF letter:

ATF Letter
Top Top