Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 4:57:28 PM EST

I have been searching for my first ak for awhile now. I am interested in purchasing an underfolder. There are two that currently fit my price range, 1) century WASR uf $400-500. 2) century m70ab2 $650-700. Is the yugo really worth $250 more? are these all made with DCI NDS receivers and quality barrels. I have been told by 1 website that the century yugos they have are not DCI NDS receivers, that they are made in house by century. I am just looking for the best quality ak for under $650. Also, I will almost certainly be purchasing from an online vendor, any recommendations for which site is reputable would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:29 AM EST
http://www.classicarms.us/

Good people there.

Anyway, in my opinion, the Yugo is a better rifle. They're built like a rock and very solid. The Romanians have been known to have some minor problems. However, they're both AKs, and they're both going to go bang, so you can't really go wrong. If money's an issue, get the Romanian. But I would personally go with the Yugo between the two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:08:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 10:09:03 AM EST by POLYTHENEPAM]
Originally Posted By johny357:

1) century WASR uf $400-500. 2) century m70ab2 $650-700. SNIP are these all made with DCI NDS receivers and quality barrels.

The WASR is made in Romania and IMPORTED by Century. It has a Romanian made receiver and a Romanian made chrome lined barrel.
The "Yugo" is built by or for Century. The last one I saw had a NDS receiver. The barrel was made in the US.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:32:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 10:35:12 AM EST by Ermac]
I would get the imported WASR rather then the Yugo, Century's workmanship is botched.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:58:18 AM EST
There is nothing wrong with the WASR provided that you can inspect BEFORE you buy. You should look for:

Front Sight Cant
Gas Block Cant
Rear Sight Cant
Mag Wobble

There was a thread somewhere that had a "How to" for buying a WASR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:35:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 1:36:28 PM EST by POLYTHENEPAM]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
There is nothing wrong with the WASR provided that you can inspect BEFORE you buy. You should look for:

Front Sight Cant This can be a problem if the fsb is off so far that you run out of front sight adjustment.
Gas Block Cant This can be a problem if you intend to use a bayonet.
Rear Sight Cant I can't get a .040 feeler gauge between the "ears" on the trunnion and the rsb. That's not enough for the best eyes to discern.
Mag Wobble Magazine "wobble" is inherent to the AK design. It bothers those who think every semiautomatic rifle should be like an AR. I've never seen "wobble" negatively affect function.
Century still uses its fcg sometime. It is terrible - 10+#s and gritty. The G2 is a much better fcg.

There was a thread somewhere that had a "How to" for buying a WASR.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:40:45 PM EST
You'll end up buying both so start off with the Yugo, it's heavier, but it's a goddamned tank of a rifle, I absolutely love mine, it even came with a CETME bayonet Thanks century....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:20:59 PM EST
The Yugo is a beast. I can't stress how beefy it is, I have the AB2 variant. Its a UF, and I love the gun....

however,

It is a range / safe gun. I take the SAR out, when I'm going to be hard on a rifle. I know the Yugo is a better gun, but the more I've put the SAR through, I tend to prefer it. Having both a fixed stock and a UF is nice. I would suggest both if its within your budget. I didn't get both of mine at once so no biggy, however I did get the Yugo first.

Get the Yugo.

I like how you said your "first AK"..... the first is quickly followed by another, and another..... I'm sure everyone here can testify.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:47:12 PM EST
Have you shot an underfolder? I've owned a couple and much prefer a standard stock just for pure shooting comfort. Just something for you to consider....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:39:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By boarklr:
Have you shot an underfolder? I've owned a couple and much prefer a standard stock just for pure shooting comfort. Just something for you to consider....

Yeah. Underfolders have a really high cool factor. But.... it quickly takes a toll on the shoulder after shooting a bunch of rounds.
Top Top