Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:37:03 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy or build my first AK. I have been an AR shooter for a few years and finally got a little bit of cash saved to buy something else. I would like to buy a complete gun for less than $500 if I could. I don't mind building the gun, I have a couple of AR builds under my belt but haven't touched an AK. Is there a way I could build an AK for around $350? if anyone has some tips or parts lists please help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a parts kit and receiver now? If so, and your only going to build only one, I recommend to pay a smith (that knows what he's doing) and have him build it. You will need probably several hundred dollars in tools to do the job right. Building an AK is not like assembling an AR.

Smith cost on the build alone will probably cost $300/$350 (higher depending on finish desired)

If you do not have a parts kit, the days of cheap parts kits are LONG gone. Also long gone are the AK Building parties  :O(

I'd look at a WASR, or even better, a SAR-1. These are Romanian and I'm sure you'd be satisfied with either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you have a parts kit and receiver now? If so, and your only going to build only one, I recommend to pay a smith (that knows what he's doing) and have him build it. You will need probably several hundred dollars in tools to do the job right. Building an AK is not like assembling an AR.

Smith cost on the build alone will probably cost $300/$350 (higher depending on finish desired)

If you do not have a parts kit, the days of cheap parts kits are LONG gone. Also long gone are the AK Building parties  :O(

I'd look at a WASR, or even better, a SAR-1. These are Romanian and I'm sure you'd be satisfied with either.
View Quote

Thanks, I do have a buddy who has all the jigs and tools, I would only need to bring the parts and we could assemble it. I was looking at atlantic's contractor WASR's for $469 thats probably what I will end up going with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no way you'll build an AK for $350 nowadays. A kit alone is going to cost you that plus the cost of a receiver, barrel, compliance parts, etc. Then you have the cost of the tools which will run you several hundred dollars as well. You're better off picking up a WASR-10 if you have a $500 budget.

ETA: WTF, I clicked on this thread and there were no replies. I hit submit and now there are replies that were posted longer ago than it took me to type. Weird.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you decide to buy , take a look at the Serbian AKs
I have a NPap and a M92 , they are well made shooters. I also have a SAR1 I've had for 15 yrs but they are pricey now
Had a WASR 10 and was not impressed , much lower quality than the SAR1 but haven't handled any of the newer ones.

Unfortunately AKs have really increased in cost's so $500 really limits the options nowadays.

JMHO
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You can pay $400 for an AK we'll say. You'll probably only get a used rebuilt WASR.

Or...

You can work one more day at work, and be able to spend $500 and get something better. Work a couple extra days and get something awesome.

This is the method I use to sink money into guns. What's a day at work compared to an extra $150 towards a higher quality weapon, or ammo, or w/e; etc.

EDIT: on WHAT to get, I've been happy with the imported (factory built) AMD-65. Other than the house paint, great quality. Yugo imports are good. Russian imports are great. Bulgarian imports would be great, if an option. Odds are good you'll be happier with an import than a rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a $500 new WASR from Atlantic. QC checked for no canted sights, mag wobble etc. The newest batch of WASRs have been very nice. I might look to get one for my first AK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
WASR or NPAP. Slight edge to the WASR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no way you'll build an AK for $350 nowadays. A kit alone is going to cost you that plus the cost of a receiver, barrel, compliance parts, etc. Then you have the cost of the tools which will run you several hundred dollars as well. You're better off picking up a WASR-10 if you have a $500 budget.

ETA: WTF, I clicked on this thread and there were no replies. I hit submit and now there are replies that were posted longer ago than it took me to type. Weird.
View Quote

I agree- in my post above I was talking $300/350 just for the smith charge to build if the OP already had the parts.

As far as your "ETA"- it's the NSA, BATF, and the FBI all intercepting these posts- sometimes it takes a few minutes for their systems to process them.  Just kidding-- I HOPE!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

The WASR uses standard furniture
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:The WASR uses standard furniture
View Quote

Ah. That and the high comb on the stock are the two things steering me away from the NPAP, but they seem to be really good quality.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
No point in building an ak now a days unless you want something custom or have left over kits and already have all the tools. In my opinion factory receivers are superior than USA made receivers. Serbian or wasr would be my choice under $500. Avoid polish ones from aim and other vendors, they are crap. And if you want an arsenal slr107fr be ready for canted sights and a horrible trigger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No point in building an ak now a days unless you want something custom or have left over kits and already have all the tools. In my opinion factory receivers are superior than USA made receivers. Serbian or wasr would be my choice under $500. Avoid polish ones from aim and other vendors, they are crap. And if you want an arsenal slr107fr be ready for canted sights and a horrible trigger.
View Quote

I have 3 Arsenals and one being a 107FR and I never saw one with canted sights. Mine is perfect right out of the box. If I was you I would stick with your WASR
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have 3 Arsenals and one being a 107FR and I never saw one with canted sights. Mine is perfect right out of the box. If I was you I would stick with your WASR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an Arsenal SGL31 with a slightly canted front sight.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never owned a WASR, I do have two Arsenals though. I really like them but slr107fr had canted sights, and many people reported the same thing.. Next time just ask before being a...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top