Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:49:57 AM EDT
I just got my $79.99 AMD-65 kit from Centerfire Systems and it  is great.  All matching numbers, great bore, and minor handling marks on the finish.  However, while I was cleaning off the oil, I noticed that the firing pin moves freely in the bolt and that there is not a firing pin spring in the small parts kit.  Am I correct in assuming that the AMD's are like any other AK variant and use a firing pin spring?  Since I havn't stripped the bolt, I am guessing that mine is either missing or broken.  For safety reasons, I would think a firing pin spring might be a good idea - Don't need any AD's, ya know...  Anyone know a source for these?  
Also, I plan on using a Romanian folding stock I have laying around rather than the one that came with the kit but I need a "standard" AK rear trunnion.  Anyone have these for a decent price?  I will be willing to trade my complete AMD folding stock (with trunnion and small parts) for a "standard" AK trunnion, if anyone is interested.  (By "standard", I of course mean the one that allows you to use a wood stock on a stamped receiver).

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
No pin spring in my AMD-65 or MAK-90

Global Trades (http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html) carries the rear trunnion, but are temporarily out of stock.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
as far as i know there isnt a fireing pin sping in any ak they are all free floating
as for the rear block u can buy from kvar for 18 bucks
your folder is worth prolly 25-30 so u can actually make alittle money
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The Chinese AK's are the only ones with firing pin springs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
To my knowledge, it was just the Polytechs.  I know that MAKs were not so fitted.
Just stay away from reloadable ammo, and I've never heard of a problem.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I suppose I stand corrected.  I have a Galil ARM that has a pretty stiff FP spring and a (Norinco) MAK-90 and a BWK-92 (also a Norinco - .223) that both have fairly weak FP springs, but they have them.  I quess I assumed too much.  It just seems like it should have one....  
Any hooo, I got rivets removed from my AMD kit and lined it up on my Vulcan receiver.  Only one hole is slightly off on the left side of the front trunnion.  All others are just about perfect.  I'll be tapping and screwing it together soon.
I still have that AMD stock/trunnion for trade to anyone interested.  
Thanks for the responses.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top