Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT
I am new to the building bit, there are several ways to finish a reciever. I need to know the different  ways and what about just using perma blue on it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Here are some cheapy methods...
DupliCoat Hi-Temp engine paint...
Brownells ALUMA-HYDE
Brownells
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17640&title=DURACOAT+PAINTING+SYSTEM
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did a Romanian kit receiver. The kit was real nice and didnt need finishing so i only did the receiver to match.  I used Birchwood-Casey product called parmablue paste (in a tube)  The stuff really worked nice and matches perfect.  Just make sure you sand blast the thing first to get the dark blue/black color.
its the bottom gun..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
brownells alumahyde II works great.

I sparyed over the kit parts so everything would match.  After many rounds the alumahyde still holds up.  The only downside is it takes about a week to cure.  This is the dark parkerize gray color.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a big fan of semi-gloss MolyResin

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I am in the process of powder coating my first romy build. I will post pics when Im done,should be next week
slugger
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If you go the cheap route, this is the Duplicolor Ceramic hi temp engine paint from Walmart.  Cost me like 5 bucks.  Baked it in the over for a couple of hours.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you guys spray everything as a single unit after assembly?  I would think that some parts (receiver cover, safety/selector arm, bolt/handle) would be done seperately before assembly, but that it would be tough do the receiver and barrel asy seperately, assemble, then get a decent matching finish on the rivet heads.

--Otter
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Removed furniture, disassembled, sprayed cover, gas tube, barrel+receiver asmbly, and selector seperately.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my Molyresin from the UPS today,
look forward to using it.   Bought a nice little compressor
from HF for $30 and an airbrush from Big Lotts for $7
Got an AMD and an AMD  Bullpup to finish
Going out of town this weekend but will post pix
when they are done.
Got the Flat black, wanted the Park but these are
EVIL BLACK RIFLES so had to wait on  that
Just did my Pole underfolder in Park Durabake
it looks good, but seemed kinda soft at first but
seems to have toughened up with a little time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
You will love the Molyresin and how it comes out. Just make sure that you heat the part you are going to coat so that the carrier will flash off quickly and not run. Don't let the wife catch you baking it in her oven. I bought a quart a year ago and have refinished 16 guns with it and still have 1/3 of it left. It is some great tough stuff.

Quoted:
I just got my Molyresin from the UPS today,
look forward to using it.   Bought a nice little compressor
from HF for $30 and an airbrush from Big Lotts for $7
Got an AMD and an AMD  Bullpup to finish
Going out of town this weekend but will post pix
when they are done.
Got the Flat black, wanted the Park but these are
EVIL BLACK RIFLES so had to wait on  that
Just did my Pole underfolder in Park Durabake
it looks good, but seemed kinda soft at first but
seems to have toughened up with a little time.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top