Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 6:41:27 PM EDT
Went "up north" with a friend and finally got to shoot my Krebs Custom AK-74M (not really M but that's what they call it). We set up a target at about 75-yards in an abandoned quarry nearby the cabin and I set into my first mag of Barnual FMJ.  I was a bit surprised when it jammed not once, not twice, but three times in a single mag. I was a little frustrated to say the least, but I was much relieved to find that it was the well-used East German bakelite that was the cause of the trouble. All my other mags functioned perfectly and it settled into perfect reliability. Now, jams aside I scored two bullseyes in my first five shots, with the other three crouded around them in about a 3" group.  To top it off I was firing from a standing position and completely unsupported.  Each consecutive five-shot group was about the same, and I never even felt the need to fire from a supported position under the circumstances. I never had to adjust the sights either.  

Needless to say I'm very impressed with this rifle, and dressed in Russian laminate it is both extremely attractive and a dream to shoot.  I guess since it is the only AK-74 clone I've ever fired, I can't compare it to anything else in 5.45, but I'm sure it must be among the best.  

I hope to shoot it under normal range conditions soon, but for now my gravel-pit shoot is enough to tell me I've made a very good purchase.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you posted any pic's of your Krebs since you put the laminate furniture on? I bet it looks great. My Krebs is also very acurate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I haven't.  I would like to but I still haven't gotten a digital camera.  As soon as I buy/borrow one I will.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
AJjer,
Sounds nice!  I like the caliber, making due with the inexpensive SAR-2 rifle.  The Krebs look to be really well built rifles.  

I would not worry too much about failure to feed issues during the first 100 rounds.  Just cleani it up good and lube it well for next time out.  After that it should be like any AK, work fine with minimal maintenance.  I suspect your Krebs built rifle have tighter tollerance than the original AK's and just needs a bit of wearing in of the mating surfaces and then will become real reliable.  I have seen this initial break-in requirement in AR15's and auto pistols as well.

Make sure you are not dealing with one bad magazine too.

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It did turn out to be just the one mag. It was the mag I received with the rifle, a well-used EG bakelite.  The feed lips are beat up pretty bad, so it's pretty much going to be a parts mag now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It did turn out to be just the one mag. It was the mag I received with the rifle, a well-used EG bakelite.  The feed lips are beat up pretty bad, so it's pretty much going to be a parts mag now.

I am new to aks but from the feed lips on my mak how is it even possible to beat them up those lips are real thick 10 times the thickness of a ar.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The lips have gauges taken out of them actually.  I have no idea how that would happen, but I guess it did.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am new to aks but from the feed lips on my mak how is it even possible to beat them up those lips are real thick 10 times the thickness of a ar.

Mike isn't your MAK an AK47 as in 7.62 using steel mags? AJ's AK74 is using baklite "plastic" mags.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top