Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:04:42 PM EDT
It took a while, followed advice offered on this and other message boards, and it turned out pretty good.  Metal is finished in Aluma Hyde and wood was refinished with Tung Oil, the photo doesn't show it, but the wood turned out exceptionally well.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat. There seem to be two different styles of pistol gripped handguards. Yours is the more angular of the two. The other is more rounded. Am I correct?

Galland
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice. How about some details? What kind of receiver did you use? Did you need to do any fitting in the magazine well? What riveting method did you use? Did you use a press for any of the work? How did you get the barrel pin out?  How is the headspace? Have you fired it yet?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice build...
Galland - the straighter/rounded pistol forearm is for use with underfolder stocks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Details...I got the kit from DPH Arms, I also got the flat from them, the flat was bent on a DPH bending jig using a friends 20 ton Harbor Freight press.  Rivets were set with a friends rivet tool and a riveting jig for the trigger guard.  I had use of the press to press the barrel out, but then the press was sold, I was unable to get the barrel pin out using any of the methods found on any of the boards, finally had to drill the barrel pin and got a replacement pin.  A friend had the spot welder with modified electrodes and he spot welded the rails for me, as well as heat treating the holes in the receiver and heat treating the ejector.  I also got the Tapco G2 trigger kit from DPH.

I used the all thread method to reinstall the barrel, and used a hammer to reinstall the barrel pin, I did have to do some trimming on the magazine well, not a lot, headspace is fine.  I assembled the rifle and test fired it before finishing the receiver and wood, I had a few snags, trimmed up the rails a little more, hopefully it just needs some shooting to get all the parts seated up properly and working 100%.  Disassembled the rifle, cleaned up the metal and shot it with Aluma Hyde, stripped the wood with Citrus Strip, sanded it, applied some medium oak stain then 6 coats of Tung Oil, the photos don't do justice to the wood, it turned out fantastic!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
What exactly is Aluma Hyde?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Neat. There seem to be two different styles of pistol gripped handguards. Yours is the more angular of the two. The other is more rounded. Am I correct?

Galland

I think the older romanian guns had the more angualr handguards. I have one like that on a 1982 kit, and my dad has the big one that feel like a 2x4 on a 1986 kit.

BTW the underfolder front handguard in swept back not forward.

Nice build BTW.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
looks solid man!! i have used the aluma hyde on two builds....looks pretty good if you let it cure correctly!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top