Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:52:07 AM EDT
Just bought my first AK over the weekend (WASR-10) and I'm having a few problems.

1. Damn it's hard to get the mag to stay in the weapon,the front part goes in back the back won't go in far enough for the latch to catch it,maybe I'm spolied by ARs,Glocks etc.. but this is a pain in the ass.

2. When the one time that I actually had the mag in the weapon I chambered a round but the bolt wouldn't go all of the way forward. Fell about 1/2" away from being fully closed. Any ideas,maybe it's related to question #1?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's defective. It might have been slapped together to quickly!

Bring it back......Century is known for their tight fitting, well put together firearms.............NOT!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I do have some AK guys at work but I can't bring it up there until Saturday. Just kind of funny that the mag either goes in really easily or doesn't.

..also when the mag did lock in place, I did chamber a round, even though the bolt did not go all of the way forward I could not see the round at all and with me being an AK newb I imagine that the bolt closed it's going to be in the same position with a round in it or not.

Maybe I should've bought that PLR-16 instead
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#3]
have you ever used an AK before? are you sure your inserting the mag correctly? the magazine has to be "rocked" in from front to back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
have you ever used an AK before? are you sure your inserting the mag correctly? the magazine has to be "rocked" in from front to back.

+1

That's what it sounds like in your description.  It's a pretty common mistake that most people make when first using an AK.  I always took my friends out who had never touched one in their lives (or any gun for that matter), and gave them the mag and the weapon, just to see if one of them would figure it out the first time.  they never did.  They insert it, backside first, it locks in, but is not in properly, try to cock it, and then say, "man I think something's wrong with your AK."

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm putting it in front to back but I have 0 experience with AKs so I'm sure that that has something to do with it

Sometimes it'll catch in the front and won't go all of the way back to lock it in place (maybe I'm putting it in too deep in the front) and sometimes it won't catch at all in the front and pop out when I try to rock it back.

..and what about the bolt problem?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm putting it in front to back but I have 0 experience with AKs so I'm sure that that has something to do with it

Sometimes it'll catch in the front and won't go all of the way back to lock it in place (maybe I'm putting it in too deep in the front) and sometimes it won't catch at all in the front and pop out when I try to rock it back.

..and what about the bolt problem?

yes, that sounds like you're not inserting it correctly.

not sure about the bolt, could be from the mag insertion problem, which is what would happen if you didn't insert the mag properly.  Which is why they always told me something was "wrong" with my AK.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like your A. Inserting the mag improperly. Or B Problem with the mag release. Try this Place the front lip if the mag at the front of the mag well. Then place the bottom front corner against the front handguard. Then try to rock it in, paying attention to the front lip and how it locks into the weapon. Keep pulling back on the mag untill it clicks into place.
Problem 2. Is gonna be caused by your mag not seating right do to not putting it in. Or you may be riding the bolt home. Dont do that! Snatch the bolt back and release it from "full charge" if the springs tight in the mag and you dont have a super strong recoil spring it wont be strong enough to strip the round from the mag and chamber it without slamming all the way home from the back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Lets also not forget this is a WASR-10.  WASR-10's of course were modified from low cap to normal double stack, and if whoever modded it did a bad job then the mag isnt gonna go in too well.  I had to take a dremel to my mag well on my WASR to get mags in without struggling.  So the problem could be more then just inexperience with AK mags.

If your still experiencing problems with it, then you can send it to me for proper disposal you can check out this website.....  http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top